Sep 8, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
Quite an ending in the Bronx this afternoon, as the Orioles were two outs away from sweeping the Yankees, leading 2-1 in the bottom of the ninth. But then Alex Rodriguez reached on a single and two batters later Nick Swisher homered off of Koji Uehara to win it 3-2.
Yankees fans were not so ecstatic two innings earlier when the Bombers managed to get runners on first and third with two out. That brought Frankie Cervelli and his anemic bat to the plate. Rather than pinch hit for Cervelli — which every Yankees fan on Twitter was screaming for Joe Girardi to do — Cervelli hit for himself, grounding out and ending the rally.
We learned immediately after the game that Girardi — shockingly — had better information than those of us sitting at home: Jorge Posada has concussion symptoms after taking a foul tip to the noggin last night. That rendered him unavailable, and rendered it far more difficult a call for Girardi to take Cervelli out with two innings still to play. I probably could look this up to be sure, but I think Butch Wynegar is the third option behind the plate there.
But all’s well that ends well, as they say. The Yankees salvage one, Nick Swisher gets one of those silly pies to the face and Joe Girardi is revealed to not be as dumb as every single Yankees fan likes to think he is when the team is behind late in a game.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)