Sep 8, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
Quite an ending in the Bronx this afternoon, as the Orioles were two outs away from sweeping the Yankees, leading 2-1 in the bottom of the ninth. But then Alex Rodriguez reached on a single and two batters later Nick Swisher homered off of Koji Uehara to win it 3-2.
Yankees fans were not so ecstatic two innings earlier when the Bombers managed to get runners on first and third with two out. That brought Frankie Cervelli and his anemic bat to the plate. Rather than pinch hit for Cervelli — which every Yankees fan on Twitter was screaming for Joe Girardi to do — Cervelli hit for himself, grounding out and ending the rally.
We learned immediately after the game that Girardi — shockingly — had better information than those of us sitting at home: Jorge Posada has concussion symptoms after taking a foul tip to the noggin last night. That rendered him unavailable, and rendered it far more difficult a call for Girardi to take Cervelli out with two innings still to play. I probably could look this up to be sure, but I think Butch Wynegar is the third option behind the plate there.
But all’s well that ends well, as they say. The Yankees salvage one, Nick Swisher gets one of those silly pies to the face and Joe Girardi is revealed to not be as dumb as every single Yankees fan likes to think he is when the team is behind late in a game.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (181)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (146)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)