Sep 9, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune surmised that Cubs owner Todd Ricketts was participating in an episode of the CBS show Undercover Boss being shot at Wrigley Field, and now that the filming is complete the team is no longer being secretive.
Ricketts grew facial hair and donned glasses during the nine-game homestand, where he was followed by film crews while working on the grounds crew, as a vendor, in the Captain Morgan Club, and even emptying trash outside the ballpark. Cubs marketing chief Wally Hayward declined comment on the Cubs’ involvement in the show, which is expected to air sometime during the upcoming season.
I’ve watched more episodes of Undercover Boss than I really care to admit–which is to say more than one–so I feel confident predicting that Ricketts will learn many life lessons by interacting with minimum wage-earning employees and those employees will be shocked to find out that the bearded man being followed around by a camera crew isn’t actually someone trying to learn the ins and outs of a minimum wage-paying job.
Throw in some inspirational music and a few commercial breaks, and that’s basically the show. It’s just a shame Lou Piniella stepped down as manager before the filming started, because as Sullivan points out he’s not much for reality television.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)