Sep 9, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune surmised that Cubs owner Todd Ricketts was participating in an episode of the CBS show Undercover Boss being shot at Wrigley Field, and now that the filming is complete the team is no longer being secretive.
Ricketts grew facial hair and donned glasses during the nine-game homestand, where he was followed by film crews while working on the grounds crew, as a vendor, in the Captain Morgan Club, and even emptying trash outside the ballpark. Cubs marketing chief Wally Hayward declined comment on the Cubs’ involvement in the show, which is expected to air sometime during the upcoming season.
I’ve watched more episodes of Undercover Boss than I really care to admit–which is to say more than one–so I feel confident predicting that Ricketts will learn many life lessons by interacting with minimum wage-earning employees and those employees will be shocked to find out that the bearded man being followed around by a camera crew isn’t actually someone trying to learn the ins and outs of a minimum wage-paying job.
Throw in some inspirational music and a few commercial breaks, and that’s basically the show. It’s just a shame Lou Piniella stepped down as manager before the filming started, because as Sullivan points out he’s not much for reality television.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 46
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)