Sep 9, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Reports vary on the length of the proposed deal, but what we know for sure is that the Reds offered Dusty Baker a contract extension over a month ago and the impending free agent manager has yet to accept or decline.
Here’s what he told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com:
Sooner or later. Right now, I’m not focusing on me. I’m focused on us and getting to the playoffs. I don’t know. I haven’t really thought about it. I’m trying to figure how to win as many games as we can.
Obviously his uncertain long-term status hasn’t hurt the team any, because the Reds are pulling away from the Cardinals in the NL Central, and with a ton of prime manager gigs expected to open up this offseason it’s tough to blame Baker for possibly wanting to hit the open market.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 62
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)