Sep 9, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Reports vary on the length of the proposed deal, but what we know for sure is that the Reds offered Dusty Baker a contract extension over a month ago and the impending free agent manager has yet to accept or decline.
Here’s what he told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com:
Sooner or later. Right now, I’m not focusing on me. I’m focused on us and getting to the playoffs. I don’t know. I haven’t really thought about it. I’m trying to figure how to win as many games as we can.
Obviously his uncertain long-term status hasn’t hurt the team any, because the Reds are pulling away from the Cardinals in the NL Central, and with a ton of prime manager gigs expected to open up this offseason it’s tough to blame Baker for possibly wanting to hit the open market.
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 2
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 139
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (139)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)