Sep 9, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Reports vary on the length of the proposed deal, but what we know for sure is that the Reds offered Dusty Baker a contract extension over a month ago and the impending free agent manager has yet to accept or decline.
Here’s what he told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com:
Sooner or later. Right now, I’m not focusing on me. I’m focused on us and getting to the playoffs. I don’t know. I haven’t really thought about it. I’m trying to figure how to win as many games as we can.
Obviously his uncertain long-term status hasn’t hurt the team any, because the Reds are pulling away from the Cardinals in the NL Central, and with a ton of prime manager gigs expected to open up this offseason it’s tough to blame Baker for possibly wanting to hit the open market.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 43
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 24
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)