Great Moments in Professionalism: Chipper Jones

Sep 9, 2010, 5:32 PM EDT

Look Chipper, I love ya man. You’ve been an important part of my baseball life for the past 15 years and everything, but when you go around saying stuff like this you make me not like you very much:

Jones, when asked by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution about Gonzalez passing teammate Omar Infante for the NL batting lead, had this to say:

“If (Gonzalez) is doing the same thing on the road that he’s doing at home, I’d be glad to give him credit. And he’s a tremendous player, don’t get me wrong, but the numbers? He’s hitting like .390 at home with 25 homers and 65 ribbies?”

Gonzalez’s home/road splits are notable (and I’ve noted them). But it’s one thing, I think, to acknowledge that he gets a boost from his home park in an analysis context and a completely different thing for one of his peers in the game to cite his splits as a reason not to “give him credit” in casual conversation.  Gonzalez has done what he has done in conditions over which he has no control. Why beef at him for that?

It just strikes me as a really low rent kind of thing for a ballplayer to say about another ballplayer and I would hope that Chipper can appreciate that.

1. Coalregion - Sep 9, 2010 at 5:54 PM

As awesome as he’s been over the years, the guys fricking 40 years old and still referred to as “Chipper”. Guess Champ or Lil Dude were taken…

2. KevinDSeal - Sep 9, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Also, let it be known that Chipper’s home OPS this season was .954. It was .649 on the road.

3. Saints97 - Sep 9, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Haha, check mate.

4. Opie - Sep 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM

sticking up for his guy is all……and anyone would want that from their teammate. Not saying it’s tuxedo classy, but Chipper only wears tuxedo T-shirts anyway….

5. joetarring - Sep 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Just to turn it around – can you imagine Chipper’s reaction if, say, Todd Helton had said “It’s all well and good what Omar Infante’s done – but if you don’t have the ABs you just don’t deserve the batting title'”

6. nps6724 - Sep 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Except Turner Field has no offensive advantage. It’s obvious Gonzo’s numbers get an assist from Coors. I see no problem with what Chipper said. It’s the truth.

7. matt - Sep 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Is it me or does Chipper do alot of this kind of thing recently. He’s kind of got that Tony Dungy thing going on where he feels the need to comment on anything and everything because of some perceived “special” status in the game. Its mainly Braves related stuff he talks about but it comes off as if he’s the unofficial GM of the team or something.

8. mmeac604 - Sep 9, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Chipper won the 1999 NL MVP. That year his splits were:
    HOME: .366/.467/.732
    AWAY: .275/.416/.540
    Yes, Coors Field is a hitter’s park. But Chipper still sounds like a jackass.

9. Buccofan - Sep 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Chipper needs to unwind a little. Maybe he should head to Hooters for a while.

10. Glenn - Sep 9, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Chuck Fipper, even if he is 100% correct.

11. Giant Space Ants - Sep 9, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Well, those are still some pretty great road numbers for Chipper in ’99. I don’t really agree with Jones’ point here, but Gonzalez has been nowhere near as good on the road as Chipper was (I think, even when the potential difference in era’s is accounted for).

12. Johnnyb10 - Sep 10, 2010 at 7:50 AM

He’s starting to become another Curt Shilling. Nah – nobody could have a mouth as big as that windbag.

13. Joe - Sep 10, 2010 at 8:49 AM