Sep 9, 2010, 8:47 AM EDT
Recall from Tuesday that John Lindsey was finally called up by the Dodgers after 15 years in the minor leagues. Last night he was poised to make his big league debut against the Padres, but the fates — and a little over-managing — ruined it.
Lindsey didn’t start, but he was sent to pinch hit for Scott Podsednik — facing lefty Joe Thatcher — with one out in the top of the eighth inning. After his name was announced, however, Bud Black replaced Thatcher with righty Luke Gregerson. This caused Joe Torre to call Lindsey back and send up Andre Ethier instead. Ethier promptly hit into an inning-ending double
play. Lindsey ended up with his name in the box score, but no actual game action to show for it.
I suppose you can’t expect Bud Black not to play the matchups there. He’s in a tight pennant race after all. But jeez, he did have a 4-0 lead. Torre has less of an excuse. I mean, everything we’ve seen from the Dodgers over the last week or two suggests that they’ve quit already, so what’s the harm in letting a righty face a righty in that situation?
Oh well, unless Lindsey is hit by a streetcar this morning it won’t much matter, as Torre says that he’ll get a start on Saturday in Houston. Still, what do you think was going through Lindsey’s mind as he prepared to take his first major league pitch, only to here zombie Joe Torre call him back to the dugout?
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 0
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 63
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)