Sep 9, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Some people jumped to conclusions about Jose Lima’s death when he passed away in May from an apparent heart attack at age 37, but the autopsy report released today showed no traces of drugs in his system.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN.com Lima “tested positive for moderate levels of alcohol but that the cause of death is still undetermined after autopsy and toxicology studies.” The report states that Lima “likely died of a cardiac arrhythmia.”
Lima’s widow, Dorca Astacio, spoke to Rojas:
Now Jose will be able to rest in peace. Those of us who loved Jose have not only suffered his death, but also the quick judgments lashed out by many people about the supposed reasons for his death.
Lima last pitched in the majors for the Mets in 2006 and compiled an underwhelming career mark of 89-102 with a 5.26 ERA, but will be remembered for his “Lima Time” persona and going 21-10 with a 3.58 ERA for the Astros in 1999.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)