Sep 9, 2010, 2:03 PM EDT
Before the season started, the expectation was that the big name on the market would be Adrian Gonzalez. That changed when the Padres starting winning, of course. Looks like the winning and attendant optimism has gone on so long now that there won’t be any trade at all, even next year, reports Jayson Stark:
“Even if they miss the playoffs now, coming off a year this successful,
it would be difficult for them to move him,” said one team official.
“They’re still scrapping and clawing, trying to get people back into
their park and build back their base. So it would be a precarious
decision to endanger that and trade him. I’d really be surprised if they
did that now.”
In my mind it’s not just the Padres winning that changes the original calculus. The leak of those small-revenue-team financial documents matters too. Padres fans should not be nearly as credulous of the team crying poor now as they were last winter, and their expectation should be that the Padres can — if they desire to — sign Gonzalez to an extension.
At the very least, Padres fans and the media that covers the team should demand that the Padres lay real numbers on the table before they ship Gonzalez out the door or let him walk as a free agent after next year.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 9
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 105
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 98
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (104)