Sep 9, 2010, 2:03 PM EST
Before the season started, the expectation was that the big name on the market would be Adrian Gonzalez. That changed when the Padres starting winning, of course. Looks like the winning and attendant optimism has gone on so long now that there won’t be any trade at all, even next year, reports Jayson Stark:
“Even if they miss the playoffs now, coming off a year this successful,
it would be difficult for them to move him,” said one team official.
“They’re still scrapping and clawing, trying to get people back into
their park and build back their base. So it would be a precarious
decision to endanger that and trade him. I’d really be surprised if they
did that now.”
In my mind it’s not just the Padres winning that changes the original calculus. The leak of those small-revenue-team financial documents matters too. Padres fans should not be nearly as credulous of the team crying poor now as they were last winter, and their expectation should be that the Padres can — if they desire to — sign Gonzalez to an extension.
At the very least, Padres fans and the media that covers the team should demand that the Padres lay real numbers on the table before they ship Gonzalez out the door or let him walk as a free agent after next year.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)