Sep 9, 2010, 2:03 PM EDT
Before the season started, the expectation was that the big name on the market would be Adrian Gonzalez. That changed when the Padres starting winning, of course. Looks like the winning and attendant optimism has gone on so long now that there won’t be any trade at all, even next year, reports Jayson Stark:
“Even if they miss the playoffs now, coming off a year this successful,
it would be difficult for them to move him,” said one team official.
“They’re still scrapping and clawing, trying to get people back into
their park and build back their base. So it would be a precarious
decision to endanger that and trade him. I’d really be surprised if they
did that now.”
In my mind it’s not just the Padres winning that changes the original calculus. The leak of those small-revenue-team financial documents matters too. Padres fans should not be nearly as credulous of the team crying poor now as they were last winter, and their expectation should be that the Padres can — if they desire to — sign Gonzalez to an extension.
At the very least, Padres fans and the media that covers the team should demand that the Padres lay real numbers on the table before they ship Gonzalez out the door or let him walk as a free agent after next year.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)