Mariners CEO rips media in email to employees; has email leaked to media

Sep 9, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT

Mariners’ CEO Howard Lincoln recently sent a would-be morale-boosting email to his employees in which he rips the media for not knowing how things really work on a baseball team.

Seems Lincoln doesn’t really know how the media works either. As in, they tend to have sources in the front office who like to do things like leak silly internal emails. Geoff Baker got hold of this one, and reprints it in full over at the Seattle Times. The juiciest bit:

“If it seems to you like the local media is going out of its way to
trash the Mariners, well, you’re right, they are! And you can expect
this to continue as the season winds down. We’re getting hit like never
before–or at least never before in recent memory! Indeed, if you read
between the lines, you get the clear impression that at least one beat
reporter would love nothing better than to step right in and run the
Mariners. (Don’t worry, that’s not going to happen!) . . .

. . . I want you to know that Chuck, Jack and I have very thick skins and
that nothing said by the folks in the media or, for that matter, the
bloggers, is going to distract us from continuing to do our jobs to the
best of our ability, with the goal of giving our fans a championship
team.

It strikes me that if you really have “very thick skins” you don’t much care what the media says and you don’t send silly emails like this. But hey, what do I know? I’m just a blogger who spends my day trying to distract baseball executives from continuing to do their jobs to the best of their ability.

1. easports82 - Sep 9, 2010 at 9:02 AM

So the team is spiraling towards it’s second 100-loss season in 3 years and touts one of the worst offenses ever and the problem is the media? Way to focus, Howard. Makes me proud to be an M’s fan.

2. Panda_Claus - Sep 9, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Running an over-spending, under-achieving team probably has very little to do with the apparent negativity by the local media.
    The fact this internal email also seems to prove that Lincoln is not taken seriously by anyone, including his own employees.

3. BC - Sep 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM

These guys make the Mets look like the best-run organization in baseball.

4. smokehouse - Sep 9, 2010 at 9:29 AM

“who like to do things like leak silly internal emails” It seems people like Craig Calcaterra are the problem.

5. Jonny5 - Sep 9, 2010 at 9:53 AM

LOL!!! I love it. But in all fairness, this was to his employees. Maybe it was meant to be leaked as a zing back at guys who’ve been getting their licks in on him? Who knows? Bloggers are evil. That’s all I get from that article. EVIL!!! Even Attorneys pale in comparison to the evil spewing forth from the Bloggers fingertips. Ha!

6. RichardInBigD - Sep 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM

And God forbid you should be both a blogger AND an attornet!

7. Kung - Sep 9, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine is all about the exclamation point. I mean, seriously? Could you have any more, particularly at the beginning?

8. APBA Guy - Sep 9, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Itchy and the Stooges. Something Howard can be proud of. Even the prospects they’ve been previewing this series in Oakland look 4A.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS