Oh noes! Derek Jeter is selling his New York penthouse!

Sep 9, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT

Clearly, this must mean that he’s planning on signing with the Rays this winter:

Yankees captain Derek Jeter put his Manhattan penthouse on the market Wednesday for an asking price of $20 million.

The All-Star shortstop’s four-bedroom, 5,425-square foot loft on the 88th floor of Trump World Tower in Turtle Bay was listed on the Trump Sales and Leasing website.

Jeter bought the high-rise piece of heaven for $12.6 million from Donald Trump in 2001, shortly after agreeing to a $189 million, 10-year deal with the Bombers.

I think the funniest thing about it is, in describing the place, the Daily News goes on about the media room, the library, the gallery and ends by saying “it even has a powder room.”  Which, at least where I’m from, simply means a half bath off a hallway someplace. Every suburban tract house has one. I dunno; maybe it’s another one of those deals where New Yorkers are starting to make a trendy fetish out of boring middle America things like cupcakes and barbecue and meatballs and Yuengling and stuff and claim it as their own.

Anyway, be sure to click through for a pic of the place to see Jeter’s minimalist decorating style.

1. Tony A - Sep 9, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Too expensive. Didn’t buy.
    (Does that bring back memories for anyone?)

2. BC - Sep 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Yuengling is made in Pottsville, PA.

3. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 9, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I know. My definition of middle America, though, is anything coast people consider flyover territory (i.e. west of New Jersey and east of Palm Springs)

4. Mr. Heyward - Sep 9, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Whoa man, where’s Pottsville dude? I like gotta see that place, man. I can like see the place in my mind and everything…whoa, man I can’t feel my fingers!

5. Utley's hair - Sep 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Wow…so Pennsylvania is in the Midwest now? Who knew?

Though the commonwealth has been described as Philly and Pittsburgh, with (fill in state and/or geographical location meant to be insulted and/or the measure of insult levied at non-urban section of PA here) in between.

6. zac - Sep 9, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Have you ever lived in or tried to buy an apartment in Manhattan, Craig? If you have enough space to devote even only “a half bath off a hallway someplace,” which I’m sure is easy enough to come by under big sky country, to using only as a powder room it means you have a heckuva lot of space indeed.

7. SouthofHeaven - Sep 9, 2010 at 3:48 PM

It’s right next to Shamokin! (no, seriously)

8. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Right, but this comes in an article about a 5000+ square foot apartment with a library, media room and gallery. I’ll grant you that a powder room is an extravagance in your typical New York apartment. But this one?

9. Jonny5 - Sep 9, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Oh, Jeters “Powder room” is where cocaine is dispensed to his groupies, or was. He must be settling down with someone special, and she’s making him sell that bachelor pad. Too many good times went down there for her to handle ya know??

10. zac - Sep 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Maybe it’s just me, but where I come from a powder room seems like an extravagance no matter where you are.

11. minnesconsin_ad - Sep 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM

god, i wish they distributed Yuengling in “real”midwest. Not that we have a shortage of good beer in MN/WI, but still. i have a special place in my heart for pottsville potion.

12. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I love Yuengling. Can’t get it in Ohio yet, but it’s all over WV. My mother in law brings us a couple of cases every time she visits.

13. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 9, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Really: it’s just a half bath. A small room with a toilet and a mirror. That’s it. The term “powder room” is a real estate term like “owner’s suite” and “great room.” Maybe you don’t see them in apartments, but it’s probably the most ridiculous thing to flaunt about a penthouse on the top of Trump Tower.

14. Professor Longnose - Sep 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM

It’s New York. It’s a gunpowder room.

15. Michael - Sep 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I was shocked upon moving to Chicago that lots of people had never heard of it. Delicious.

16. Jonny5 - Sep 9, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Have you tried the Porter or Black and tan yet? I think the Porter is quite good, for people who don’t want extra hair on their chest the Black and tan will be fine. If i’m not mistaken there are companies who will sell you yuengling online, but in cans, bleh..

17. JBerardi - Sep 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Best cheap beer ever, by far.

18. Ditto65 - Sep 9, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Pennsyltucky

19. Grant - Sep 9, 2010 at 10:51 PM

I really don’t understand why people love Yuengling so much. It’s huge in my home state of Maryland, and people love it in New York, too. It’s just another meh beer. I’d rather drink any number of similarly-priced beers than Yueng. Maybe it’s a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

20. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 10, 2010 at 5:27 AM

I think it’s a combination of price point and quality. There are better beers, obviously. But at the macro-brew price point, Yuengling is head and shoulders above the Buds and Millers of the world. A very tasty, drinkable and relatively inexpensive beer for when you want that sort of thing, ya know?

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3484)