Sep 9, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Gotta hand it to the Mets. It’s not as easy as it looks to take a team visit to wounded veterans and turn it into a PR disaster.
– Emma Span, commenting on Knuckleheads-Don’t-Visit-Walter-Reed-Gate.
By the way, now is as good a time as any to put right an egregious wrong. Ms. Span wrote a fantastic book that came out this past spring called 90% of the Game is Half Mental. It’s a hilarious and quite moving account of Ms. Span’s fandom, her all-too-brief job covering the Yankees for The Village Voice and other assorted essays and observations about the game.
I got a review copy of the book and totally dropped the damn ball in actually, you know, reviewing it. But I loved it and you should definitely check it out. Span is smart and snarky and wise and pretty much makes many of the kinds of observations I like to make about baseball, except she does so with better humor, superior knowledge and stronger writing. So, yeah, there’s that.
You can order it here. You can follow Emma on Twitter at @emmaspan. You’ll be happy you did.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)