Sep 9, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
Gotta hand it to the Mets. It’s not as easy as it looks to take a team visit to wounded veterans and turn it into a PR disaster.
– Emma Span, commenting on Knuckleheads-Don’t-Visit-Walter-Reed-Gate.
By the way, now is as good a time as any to put right an egregious wrong. Ms. Span wrote a fantastic book that came out this past spring called 90% of the Game is Half Mental. It’s a hilarious and quite moving account of Ms. Span’s fandom, her all-too-brief job covering the Yankees for The Village Voice and other assorted essays and observations about the game.
I got a review copy of the book and totally dropped the damn ball in actually, you know, reviewing it. But I loved it and you should definitely check it out. Span is smart and snarky and wise and pretty much makes many of the kinds of observations I like to make about baseball, except she does so with better humor, superior knowledge and stronger writing. So, yeah, there’s that.
You can order it here. You can follow Emma on Twitter at @emmaspan. You’ll be happy you did.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)