Sep 9, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
Gotta hand it to the Mets. It’s not as easy as it looks to take a team visit to wounded veterans and turn it into a PR disaster.
– Emma Span, commenting on Knuckleheads-Don’t-Visit-Walter-Reed-Gate.
By the way, now is as good a time as any to put right an egregious wrong. Ms. Span wrote a fantastic book that came out this past spring called 90% of the Game is Half Mental. It’s a hilarious and quite moving account of Ms. Span’s fandom, her all-too-brief job covering the Yankees for The Village Voice and other assorted essays and observations about the game.
I got a review copy of the book and totally dropped the damn ball in actually, you know, reviewing it. But I loved it and you should definitely check it out. Span is smart and snarky and wise and pretty much makes many of the kinds of observations I like to make about baseball, except she does so with better humor, superior knowledge and stronger writing. So, yeah, there’s that.
You can order it here. You can follow Emma on Twitter at @emmaspan. You’ll be happy you did.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (223)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)