Sep 9, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Gotta hand it to the Mets. It’s not as easy as it looks to take a team visit to wounded veterans and turn it into a PR disaster.
— Emma Span, commenting on Knuckleheads-Don’t-Visit-Walter-Reed-Gate.
By the way, now is as good a time as any to put right an egregious wrong. Ms. Span wrote a fantastic book that came out this past spring called 90% of the Game is Half Mental. It’s a hilarious and quite moving account of Ms. Span’s fandom, her all-too-brief job covering the Yankees for The Village Voice and other assorted essays and observations about the game.
I got a review copy of the book and totally dropped the damn ball in actually, you know, reviewing it. But I loved it and you should definitely check it out. Span is smart and snarky and wise and pretty much makes many of the kinds of observations I like to make about baseball, except she does so with better humor, superior knowledge and stronger writing. So, yeah, there’s that.
You can order it here. You can follow Emma on Twitter at @emmaspan. You’ll be happy you did.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)