Sep 9, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
Gotta hand it to the Mets. It’s not as easy as it looks to take a team visit to wounded veterans and turn it into a PR disaster.
– Emma Span, commenting on Knuckleheads-Don’t-Visit-Walter-Reed-Gate.
By the way, now is as good a time as any to put right an egregious wrong. Ms. Span wrote a fantastic book that came out this past spring called 90% of the Game is Half Mental. It’s a hilarious and quite moving account of Ms. Span’s fandom, her all-too-brief job covering the Yankees for The Village Voice and other assorted essays and observations about the game.
I got a review copy of the book and totally dropped the damn ball in actually, you know, reviewing it. But I loved it and you should definitely check it out. Span is smart and snarky and wise and pretty much makes many of the kinds of observations I like to make about baseball, except she does so with better humor, superior knowledge and stronger writing. So, yeah, there’s that.
You can order it here. You can follow Emma on Twitter at @emmaspan. You’ll be happy you did.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)