Sep 9, 2010, 11:31 AM EDT
This isn’t NPR, so we don’t ask for pledges. But I may make an exception in this case: Major League Baseball is auctioning off tickets to Bud Selig’s luxury box for next year’s All-Star Game. It would be a shame if I didn’t win that, really.
If I won, I’d be on my best behavior. Honest! I’d only talk about the game!* Selig could revive his old habit of harassing bloggers who criticize him! Proceeds of the auction go to the Stand up to Cancer charity! There’s nothing bad I could see coming from this.
Right now the bidding stands at $1000 or so. Gleeman said he’d kick in $200. I’d probably be able to convince my wife to let me chip in, oh, $300 or so. I imagine some big wheels at NBC would pony up too. Does Markie Post still work there? Beyond that I’d need help.
This is all theoretical at the moment and I won’t hold anyone to pledges made in the comments, but just for research purposes, how much might you be willing to pay to get me elbow to elbow with Commissioner Bud at next year’s All-Star Game?
*Note: I may not talk about just the game.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 27
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (114)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)