Sep 9, 2010, 11:31 AM EDT
This isn’t NPR, so we don’t ask for pledges. But I may make an exception in this case: Major League Baseball is auctioning off tickets to Bud Selig’s luxury box for next year’s All-Star Game. It would be a shame if I didn’t win that, really.
If I won, I’d be on my best behavior. Honest! I’d only talk about the game!* Selig could revive his old habit of harassing bloggers who criticize him! Proceeds of the auction go to the Stand up to Cancer charity! There’s nothing bad I could see coming from this.
Right now the bidding stands at $1000 or so. Gleeman said he’d kick in $200. I’d probably be able to convince my wife to let me chip in, oh, $300 or so. I imagine some big wheels at NBC would pony up too. Does Markie Post still work there? Beyond that I’d need help.
This is all theoretical at the moment and I won’t hold anyone to pledges made in the comments, but just for research purposes, how much might you be willing to pay to get me elbow to elbow with Commissioner Bud at next year’s All-Star Game?
*Note: I may not talk about just the game.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)