Send me to the All-Star Game with Bud Selig

Sep 9, 2010, 11:31 AM EDT

This isn’t NPR, so we don’t ask for pledges. But I may make an exception in this case: Major League Baseball is auctioning off tickets to Bud Selig’s luxury box for next year’s All-Star Game. It would be a shame if I didn’t win that, really.

If I won, I’d be on my best behavior. Honest!  I’d only talk about the game!* Selig could revive his old habit of harassing bloggers who criticize him! Proceeds of the auction go to the Stand up to Cancer charity! There’s nothing bad I could see coming from this.

Right now the bidding stands at $1000 or so. Gleeman said he’d kick in $200. I’d probably be able to convince my wife to let me chip in, oh, $300 or so. I imagine some big wheels at NBC would pony up too. Does Markie Post still work there?  Beyond that I’d need help.

This is all theoretical at the moment and I won’t hold anyone to pledges made in the comments, but just for research purposes, how much might you be willing to pay to get me elbow to elbow with Commissioner Bud at next year’s All-Star Game?

*Note: I may not talk about just the game.

1. okobojicat - Sep 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM

$25. But you must live tweet.

2. Proudly Canadian - Sep 9, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I am not sure where I should mention this, but the Toronto police have executed a search warrant on the Blue Jays in order to obtain Roidger Clemens medical records. This evidence will be turned over to US prosecutors. They story is on the Toronto Star web site.

3. ThatGuy - Sep 9, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I’d match the $25, espiecially with the tweeting.

4. The Common Man - Sep 9, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Sweet Googly Moogly. Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Let’s see, what’s in my wallet? I pledge $10 and $3 off your next haircut at Cost Cutters.

5. Trevor B - Sep 9, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I’d put some coin into this. Craig you should set up a donation link on your personal blog for this that goes to a pay pal account and see if you can’t win this auction with the help of your readers. You could possibly win this.

6. Old Gator - Sep 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM

This is as fine a place to mention it as anywhere, PC – just under a picture of Bud Light explaining as earnestly as possible that until Canseco’s book was published he had no idea that baseball had a drug problem.
    Look, I understand that Craig has a job to do and rubbing elbows with that gibbering jackass is part of it, but frankly, I’d be more likely to pony up if Craig wrote that Selig was coming to see him and he was raising money to ring his house with barbed wire, watchtowers and to buy a box of balloons to fill with water to drop on the moron’s head if he got close enough.

7. Panda_Claus - Sep 9, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I’m not sure I would view attending the game with Selig as anything other than a personal sentence. It would probably be more enjoyable being surrounded by a chorus of vuvuzela-blowing fans than to listen to Bud drone on during the game. Heck I’d probably be asleep by the 3rd inning.

8. Gobias Industries - Sep 9, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I’ll match any donation Richard Moll makes.

9. TheGoche - Sep 9, 2010 at 12:30 PM

You ought to set up something charitable to do with the money in case you don’t win.
    Like a donation to the McCourt Legal Fees Fund.

10. birdmancometh - Sep 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Nice. Smart and caring, yet sarcastically hilarious. Great comment.
    Craig, if you agree to this idea (not the McCourt part), I would certainly put up a few bones.

11. RichardInBigD - Sep 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I’ll throw in $25, but you have to promise to email me pictures of Sir Bud as he does the stupidest thing he does that night. I just hope the battery in your phone will be charged that night.

12. Detroit Michael - Sep 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM

You might ask whether Bud Selig will spend the whole game in his luxury box. If Bud goes scurrying somewhere else upon hearing the first question that he finds to be irritating, then your dollars might not be well spent.

13. Bill@TDS - Sep 9, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I’d be down for $25.

14. Jonny5 - Sep 9, 2010 at 1:32 PM

He’d have bodygaurds surrounding him if a blogger won, and WiFi service would be cut off. You’d probably have to sign some waiver too that you wouldn’t use anything he says, does (even cutting a fart), or thinks on your blog. I’m sure the Lawyer in you could find a loophole somewhere, so yeah, I’m in.

15. dprat - Sep 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Precious few folks I’d use the tag “late great” for, but thanks for the link to an article by the late great Doug Pappas.

16. Will - Sep 9, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I say we raise enough for two tickets, and send Pete Rose, too.

17. FrankZappa - Sep 9, 2010 at 2:16 PM

i will chip in $20 if you promise to deliver a swift kick in the nuts

18. Mark Smith - Sep 9, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I’ll put in $10, but I want a transcript of an interview with Selig about owning teams, bankruptcy, and blackballing people

19. Rick Chandler - Sep 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I’m in. Pouring out change jar now (don’t laugh; it once contained giant pickles).

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3418)