So I guess this whole Mets-Walter Reed Hospital thing isn't going to die

Sep 9, 2010, 9:11 AM EDT

If only the people who work for the Mets got as bent out of shape about the team sucking as they do these silly little controversies . . .

Carlos Beltran, Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez can add a missed visit to a military hospital to the Mets’ laundry list of issues with them.

According to a clubhouse source, COO Jeff Wilpon wasn’t happy that the trio of underachievers skipped the team’s visit to Walter Reed Army Medical Center on Tuesday . . . The absence of Beltran, Castillo and Perez raised some eyebrows within the organization . . .

I’d love to have a list of the players from other teams who didn’t make the trip to Walter Reed, because I’m guessing (a) there’s a healthy number of them; and (b) no one ever made a fuss about it. For that matter, I’d love to see the names of U.S. players who visited Canadian veterans during series with the Blue Jays (Perez and Castillo aren’t from the U.S., after all).

Not that those guys have totally distinguished themselves here. Beltran explains in the article that he had a meeting regarding his own charitable foundation that conflicted with the Reed visit, so that’s cool. Perez wouldn’t comment. Castillo, however, probably would have been better not commenting himself:

“I
don’t like to see people like that, so I never go there,” Castillo
said. “Sometimes you see people with no legs, no arms. I don’t like to
see that.”

Um, yeah.  Hey, here’s an idea: why don’t we just end this by agreeing that Castillo is kind of a jerk but that it’s otherwise a non-issue?

1. BC - Sep 9, 2010 at 9:20 AM

It’s just suspicious that all three of these guys have had serious spats with team management. I don’t think its a coincidence that they blew off the trip.

2. Largebill - Sep 9, 2010 at 9:58 AM

This is one of those things where I can see both sides being right and both sides being wrong. It is nice to see some of the rich and famous (who no longer serve in the military unlike during past wars) visit the wounded show some appreciation for their sacrifice and attempt to cheer them up. However, no one should be obligated to do so. Forced appreciation isn’t appreciation. Also, I can see the opinion of some Mets (Wright for one) who felt this was something to do as a team and not showing demonstrates a lack of team cohesion. When friends or relatives are in the hospital I visit, but I’ll be the first to admit I’m not comfortable in hospitals and would rather not be there.
    My view on this whole “controversy” is it is a completely New York fabricated issue. Someone else (might have been HBT) pointed out that every team that plays in NY makes a Walter Reid visit and most likely a couple players from each team misses the visit and no one cares.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM

“I’d love to see the names of U.S. players who visited Canadian veterans during series with the Blue Jays (Perez and Castillo aren’t from the U.S., after all).”
    This is a misguided point, because I’m willing to bet you that most, if not all, of MLB players would go to a scheduled visit of Canadian veterans because I believe in the notion that most MLB players, US-born or otherwise, are good-hearted people. So you should not lump the US-born players in with the non-US born players, especially when trying to make a point that is based on a hypothetical visit that, to my knowledge, has never happened or has never been planned. It is unfair of you to do that, Craig.

4. matt - Sep 9, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I dont care either way other than to point out that these 3 guys were dogs to begin with and this just adds a little to that mystique. Other than that, I agree its probably not a huge issue. The one thing I will point out is that in an article I read yesterday it was pointed out that before the rest of the team got back from the hospital that these 3 guys all walked into the mets clubhouse at the same exact time. Sounds to me like they were all together and planned to skip the event, unless they happened to arrive at the parking lot at the same exact time. I dont think so. Ollie Perez is just a k9 from the word go. Just feed him some alpo and be done with it. I have to think thats the mets biggest problem with these 3 , the fact that they still have to write checks to them. It has to bite paying someone you despise millions of dollars to get nothing. Even Beltran. Has he really lived up to that monster contract? He’s been good at times, never great.

5. Jonny5 - Sep 9, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Well it still is a free country. But it does show how the Mets Chemistry is totally effed. This wasn’t about anything more than these players telling managment “FU”. In the meantime they also told some injured Kids and Men alike the same thing at Walter Reed. Jerry lost his team and needs to go. And these three players are going to continue to be a problem until they’re gone.

6. Lt. Colombo - Sep 9, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Couldn’t Luis just look in a mirror? Oh wait, he has no knees or range.
    I keed, I keed.

7. Giant Space Ants - Sep 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Of course it won’t go away Craig. Remember, Carlos Beltran is a “miserable human being”, for unclear but, I’m sure, totally awesome and valid reasons- right matt?

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3744)