Sep 9, 2010, 9:11 AM EDT
If only the people who work for the Mets got as bent out of shape about the team sucking as they do these silly little controversies . . .
Carlos Beltran, Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez can add a missed visit to a military hospital to the Mets’ laundry list of issues with them.
According to a clubhouse source, COO Jeff Wilpon wasn’t happy that the trio of underachievers skipped the team’s visit to Walter Reed Army Medical Center on Tuesday . . . The absence of Beltran, Castillo and Perez raised some eyebrows within the organization . . .
I’d love to have a list of the players from other teams who didn’t make the trip to Walter Reed, because I’m guessing (a) there’s a healthy number of them; and (b) no one ever made a fuss about it. For that matter, I’d love to see the names of U.S. players who visited Canadian veterans during series with the Blue Jays (Perez and Castillo aren’t from the U.S., after all).
Not that those guys have totally distinguished themselves here. Beltran explains in the article that he had a meeting regarding his own charitable foundation that conflicted with the Reed visit, so that’s cool. Perez wouldn’t comment. Castillo, however, probably would have been better not commenting himself:
don’t like to see people like that, so I never go there,” Castillo
said. “Sometimes you see people with no legs, no arms. I don’t like to
Um, yeah. Hey, here’s an idea: why don’t we just end this by agreeing that Castillo is kind of a jerk but that it’s otherwise a non-issue?
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)