Sep 9, 2010, 9:11 AM EDT
If only the people who work for the Mets got as bent out of shape about the team sucking as they do these silly little controversies . . .
Carlos Beltran, Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez can add a missed visit to a military hospital to the Mets’ laundry list of issues with them.
According to a clubhouse source, COO Jeff Wilpon wasn’t happy that the trio of underachievers skipped the team’s visit to Walter Reed Army Medical Center on Tuesday . . . The absence of Beltran, Castillo and Perez raised some eyebrows within the organization . . .
I’d love to have a list of the players from other teams who didn’t make the trip to Walter Reed, because I’m guessing (a) there’s a healthy number of them; and (b) no one ever made a fuss about it. For that matter, I’d love to see the names of U.S. players who visited Canadian veterans during series with the Blue Jays (Perez and Castillo aren’t from the U.S., after all).
Not that those guys have totally distinguished themselves here. Beltran explains in the article that he had a meeting regarding his own charitable foundation that conflicted with the Reed visit, so that’s cool. Perez wouldn’t comment. Castillo, however, probably would have been better not commenting himself:
don’t like to see people like that, so I never go there,” Castillo
said. “Sometimes you see people with no legs, no arms. I don’t like to
Um, yeah. Hey, here’s an idea: why don’t we just end this by agreeing that Castillo is kind of a jerk but that it’s otherwise a non-issue?
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 0
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 14
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 42
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 12
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)