Sep 9, 2010, 9:11 AM EDT
If only the people who work for the Mets got as bent out of shape about the team sucking as they do these silly little controversies . . .
Carlos Beltran, Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez can add a missed visit to a military hospital to the Mets’ laundry list of issues with them.
According to a clubhouse source, COO Jeff Wilpon wasn’t happy that the trio of underachievers skipped the team’s visit to Walter Reed Army Medical Center on Tuesday . . . The absence of Beltran, Castillo and Perez raised some eyebrows within the organization . . .
I’d love to have a list of the players from other teams who didn’t make the trip to Walter Reed, because I’m guessing (a) there’s a healthy number of them; and (b) no one ever made a fuss about it. For that matter, I’d love to see the names of U.S. players who visited Canadian veterans during series with the Blue Jays (Perez and Castillo aren’t from the U.S., after all).
Not that those guys have totally distinguished themselves here. Beltran explains in the article that he had a meeting regarding his own charitable foundation that conflicted with the Reed visit, so that’s cool. Perez wouldn’t comment. Castillo, however, probably would have been better not commenting himself:
don’t like to see people like that, so I never go there,” Castillo
said. “Sometimes you see people with no legs, no arms. I don’t like to
Um, yeah. Hey, here’s an idea: why don’t we just end this by agreeing that Castillo is kind of a jerk but that it’s otherwise a non-issue?
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 4
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)