Sep 9, 2010, 4:18 PM EST
Zack Greinke threw eight innings last night and allowed four runs against one of the best lineups in the league. He lost. And he usually does, not because Greinke is bad but because his teammates are horrible. He has a perfectly solid 3.90 ERA and the Royals are 10-19 in his starts.
None of which is anything new. Last night was the 165th start of Greinke’s career. He has a 3.77 ERA as a starter, and to put that in context the two best team ERAs in the league this season are 3.58 and 3.84. So in his 165 career starts Greinke has essentially given the Royals the equivalent of the best pitching staff in the league while he’s in the game.
And in those 165 starts the Royals are 67-98. Seriously.
When given 165 starts of his 3.77 ERA starting pitching the Royals have won 40.6 percent of the time, which is almost unfathomable. During that same time period the Royals have won 40.4 percent of their games started by someone other than Greinke. And believe me, the “someones” who started those other 784 games didn’t come close to posting a 3.77 ERA.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)