Sep 9, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
Zack Greinke threw eight innings last night and allowed four runs against one of the best lineups in the league. He lost. And he usually does, not because Greinke is bad but because his teammates are horrible. He has a perfectly solid 3.90 ERA and the Royals are 10-19 in his starts.
None of which is anything new. Last night was the 165th start of Greinke’s career. He has a 3.77 ERA as a starter, and to put that in context the two best team ERAs in the league this season are 3.58 and 3.84. So in his 165 career starts Greinke has essentially given the Royals the equivalent of the best pitching staff in the league while he’s in the game.
And in those 165 starts the Royals are 67-98. Seriously.
When given 165 starts of his 3.77 ERA starting pitching the Royals have won 40.6 percent of the time, which is almost unfathomable. During that same time period the Royals have won 40.4 percent of their games started by someone other than Greinke. And believe me, the “someones” who started those other 784 games didn’t come close to posting a 3.77 ERA.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 22
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (103)