Sep 9, 2010, 1:02 PM EST
Trevor Hoffman was carried off the field in triumph after getting his 600th save on Tuesday night. But humility — not glory — was the order of the day in the clubhouse afterward:
Before thanking his teammates for their support and camaraderie,
Hoffman did a stunning thing, something that caught many by surprise. He
apologized to them.
Imagine that. A player reaches a pinnacle no other has accomplished and feels compelled to begin his speech with “I’m sorry.”
“He said, ‘I’m sorry I put the team in a bind at the start of the year. I take full responsibility,’ ” said Melvin.
The Brewers’ poor season had many fathers — Hoffman included — but it’s something else to see someone specifically own up to it.
Someone buy that man a Double-Double Animal Style.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 65
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)