Sep 10, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
Holden Kushner of CSN Washington writes today that there is little if any chance that the Nats are going to bring back Nyjer Morgan or Adam Dunn next year.
I get Morgan — that bit could have been placed in that last post about obvious news — but I’m still wondering why Washington doesn’t seem to be considering an Adam Dunn extension.
The only thing that has changed since the trade deadline at which Mike Rizzo appeared to place a really, really high value on Dunn is the Strasburg injury. I can understand how that could possibly change the team’s view of it’s chances in 2011, but you still have to score runs, right? I understand the defense thing, but it just astounds me that a player with the production, consistency, amiability and durability of Adam Dunn will have to go begging for work as a free agent again.
One more bit of weirdness from the article:
Which veteran with an expiring contract should be back? Let’s start and finish with Josh Willingham. “The Hammer” was on pace for his first 25 home run season after blasting 24 in 2009 . . .
Wait, Josh Willingham’s nickname is “The Hammer”? He wouldn’t do it because he’s a nice man, but I’m pretty sure Hank Aaron could have Willingham killed for that. Either way, if that really is Willingham’s nickname, I’m going to start calling Marcus Thames “The Yankee Clipper.”
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)