Sep 10, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Holden Kushner of CSN Washington writes today that there is little if any chance that the Nats are going to bring back Nyjer Morgan or Adam Dunn next year.
I get Morgan — that bit could have been placed in that last post about obvious news — but I’m still wondering why Washington doesn’t seem to be considering an Adam Dunn extension.
The only thing that has changed since the trade deadline at which Mike Rizzo appeared to place a really, really high value on Dunn is the Strasburg injury. I can understand how that could possibly change the team’s view of it’s chances in 2011, but you still have to score runs, right? I understand the defense thing, but it just astounds me that a player with the production, consistency, amiability and durability of Adam Dunn will have to go begging for work as a free agent again.
One more bit of weirdness from the article:
Which veteran with an expiring contract should be back? Let’s start and finish with Josh Willingham. “The Hammer” was on pace for his first 25 home run season after blasting 24 in 2009 . . .
Wait, Josh Willingham’s nickname is “The Hammer”? He wouldn’t do it because he’s a nice man, but I’m pretty sure Hank Aaron could have Willingham killed for that. Either way, if that really is Willingham’s nickname, I’m going to start calling Marcus Thames “The Yankee Clipper.”
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)