Sep 10, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Holden Kushner of CSN Washington writes today that there is little if any chance that the Nats are going to bring back Nyjer Morgan or Adam Dunn next year.
I get Morgan — that bit could have been placed in that last post about obvious news — but I’m still wondering why Washington doesn’t seem to be considering an Adam Dunn extension.
The only thing that has changed since the trade deadline at which Mike Rizzo appeared to place a really, really high value on Dunn is the Strasburg injury. I can understand how that could possibly change the team’s view of it’s chances in 2011, but you still have to score runs, right? I understand the defense thing, but it just astounds me that a player with the production, consistency, amiability and durability of Adam Dunn will have to go begging for work as a free agent again.
One more bit of weirdness from the article:
Which veteran with an expiring contract should be back? Let’s start and finish with Josh Willingham. “The Hammer” was on pace for his first 25 home run season after blasting 24 in 2009 . . .
Wait, Josh Willingham’s nickname is “The Hammer”? He wouldn’t do it because he’s a nice man, but I’m pretty sure Hank Aaron could have Willingham killed for that. Either way, if that really is Willingham’s nickname, I’m going to start calling Marcus Thames “The Yankee Clipper.”
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 82
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)