Adam Dunn, Nyjer Morgan probably won't be on the Nats next year

Sep 10, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT

Holden Kushner of CSN Washington writes today that there is little if any chance that the Nats are going to bring back Nyjer Morgan or Adam Dunn next year.

I get Morgan — that bit could have been placed in that last post about obvious news — but I’m still wondering why Washington doesn’t seem to be considering an Adam Dunn extension.

The only thing that has changed since the trade deadline at which Mike Rizzo appeared to place a really, really high value on Dunn is the Strasburg injury. I can understand how that could possibly change the team’s view of it’s chances in 2011, but you still have to score runs, right? I understand the defense thing, but it just astounds me that a player with the production, consistency, amiability and durability of Adam Dunn will have to go begging for work as a free agent again.

One more bit of weirdness from the article:

Which veteran with an expiring contract should be back? Let’s start and finish with Josh Willingham. “The Hammer” was on pace for his first 25 home run season after blasting 24 in 2009 . . .

Wait, Josh Willingham’s nickname is “The Hammer”? He wouldn’t do it because he’s a nice man, but I’m pretty sure Hank Aaron could have Willingham killed for that.  Either way, if that really is Willingham’s nickname, I’m going to start calling Marcus Thames “The Yankee Clipper.”

1. Aarcraft - Sep 10, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Not all hammers are created equal. I own a hammer that is only marginally effective with a thumbtack. Maybe he is that kind of hammer. By the way, how bout them killer B’s. You know, Bourn, Blum and Bourgeois.

2. Wooden U Lykteneau - Sep 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM

*sigh* He got his nickname from his time with Florida, not with Washington:
    It’s called research: Try it sometime.

3. Professor Longnose - Sep 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I guess you don’t remember John Milner.

4. John_Michael - Sep 10, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Does signing Dunn prevent Harper from sliding over to 1B? Or will Harper and Wilson Ramos have a winner takes all the catcher’s gear steel cage match?

5. Mrsteve - Sep 10, 2010 at 12:09 PM

The Nats could have traded Dunn & got prospects but now they are letting him go for nothing.
    The GM should be on the not coming back list too.

6. Tim's Neighbor - Sep 10, 2010 at 1:04 PM

*Sigh* Pretty sure this was a joke and Craig really doesn’t believe that Hank Aaron should have Willingham killed.
    It’s called having a sense of humor. Try it some time.

7. Old Gator - Sep 10, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I remember John Miler very well. He got nicknamed “The Hammer” because his batting stance was so much like Aaron’s. I think it was one of the Mets announcers at the time – Ralph Kiner, I bet – who dubbed him so. Also, because when he got around on a ball he could flatside the damned thing. I was at a game at Shea when he hit one off the upper quarter of the right field scoreboard, and the thing was still rising and moving so fast that it bounced halfway back to the infield.

8. Old Gator - Sep 10, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Yeah, the Feesh bestowed it on ‘im. But the article is in error. He got it from the rubber mallet the trainer had to use to bang his fourth lumbar vertebrate back into place about six times a year. Boy, was he ever a Frangible Freddie.

All the trade deadline news to know