And That Happened: Thursday's Scores and Highlights

Sep 10, 2010, 5:53 AM EDT

Matt Cain and the Giants put on quite power displaFAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE!

Giants 7, Padres 3: Round one goes to the Giants, who pull to within one game of the lead. And they did it in an unexpected way for this team in this park: the long ball. Huff, Posey, Burrell and Uribe all went yard. Matt Cain — who has had some serious issues vs. the Padres recently — took a three-hitter into the ninth. He worked the corners and threw lots of strikes. Jon Garland didn’t have so great a night:  “Terrible, terrible, especially to start a series. I
guarantee you no person in San Diego feels worse than I do, and I get to
go home and sleep on it. It’s going to be a fun night.”  Poor, poor baby.  And he’s wrong anyway: my brother lives there, and he’s got kidney stones right now. He feels way, way worse.

Rockies 6, Reds 5: Colorado gains a game as well.  And they took the lead in this one in awesomely spectacular style.  Check it out. Reds pitcher Nick Masset was on some other planet on that play, it seems. Or was he? “Before I was about to throw that pitch, I was going to fake to third and go to first,” Masset said. What a shame. If that’s really true, it would have been the first time in recorded baseball history that the fake-to-third-throw-to-first play had ever worked.

Tigers 6, White Sox 3: Chicago is six back with 22 games to play. The only glimmer of hope they seem to have is that the Twins were 5.5 back with 22 to play last year and forced a tie. Countering that: unlike the 2009 Tigers, the 2010 Twins don’t seem like a team that is going to struggle down the stretch.

Cardinals 11, Braves 4: Braves fans may be the only people on the planet who don’t mind that the whole world was all Brett Favre-crazy last night, because this was some embarrassing stuff. Colby Rasmus was 4 for 4 with two homers and four RBI.  FOX’s Dayn Perry — a Cardinals fan — on Twitter last night: “Let’s hope that wasn’t Colby’s Braves audition.” I don’t care if he was joking. That’s the only thing that made me feel remotely good about this one.

Rangers 4, Blues Jays 2: Colby Lewis won for the first time in forever. Jose Bautista hit his 44th home run.

Astros 3, Dodgers 2: Yay! John Lindsey got to bat! He flied out to center while pinch hitting for Ted Lilly, but an at bat is an at bat. And he probably had a lot of family in the stands, as he’s from nearby Mississippi. Lindsey is about the only thing interesting or, at the very least, non-despressing about the Dodgers these days.

1. SadPandaRevolt - Sep 10, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Craig, that was not fun-OH MY GOD FARVE FARVE FARVE THREW ANOTHER PASS INTO THE GROUND BUT ITS OK BECAUSE HE’S STILL SUPER AWESOME AND IT WAS EVERYONE ELSE’S FAULT ANYWAY AND I STILL TOTALLY LOVE HIM.
    Goddamn it! Who let Collinsworth in here?

2. Professor Longnose - Sep 10, 2010 at 8:41 AM

So now instead of spending the rest of his life griping that he never got a chance, Lindsay can spend the rest of his life feeling bad that he had his chance and blew it.

3. Jonny5 - Sep 10, 2010 at 8:48 AM

The Cards took the Phills to task during their not so glorious early half of July so don’t feel too bad. But if it makes you feel better the Phills were able to win the final game and go on to a 8 game winning streak. I guess it doesn’t…. Ok, well how about that Pat Burrell. I can’t tell you how glad i am to see him thrive with the Giants. He must have really hated the stink in that gigantic humidor they call a stadium down in Fla… The odor of all the rotten non cleaned beer taps and crappy food is enough to drive out most of us. Probably smells like China town in NYC during August. Just a guess..

4. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 10, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I think the major issue with Burrell and the Rays is that the guy just isn’t wired to sit on the bench and hit 4 times a game. I’m guessing there are alot of guys who simply can not do that. I also think the NL is a little weaker, and I guess he’s a little more comfortable over in the NL, but I think the main thing was that he simply did not like being a DH. The thing that cracks me up is how much people think he was a big reason the Phillies won the WS in 2008. Yeah, he had a pretty big hit but it was his only hit in 14 at bats. He was OK vs the Brewers and solid against the Dodgers, but in the WS, he was pretty brutal. It’s amazing how a guy rides on the front car of a parade with his dog and becomes a city-wide hero after the town rightfully killed him for 9 years.

5. Levi Stahl - Sep 10, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I actually saw the fake-to-third-throw-to-first move work in a game about six or eight years ago–which was really annoying, because I had to stop saying, “That never works.” Saying “That almost never works” just doesn’t have the same effect.
    The steal of home in the CO game was awesome. It’s obvious that Masset was completely focused on the pitch he was about to throw, but then heard one of his infielders shouting, “He’s going!” So he looked–reasonably, at 2nd . . . and then it was too late.

6. Jonny5 - Sep 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Probably right about Burrell Chris, but I still like the stinky Tampa dome theory much better. I really doubt his hitting was that adversely affected by a “weaker NL”. As far as pitching to a batter goes, there isn’t much difference. I think the person most effeced by the NL would be the guy in front of the pitcher being given nothing good to hit, basically ever. When you really think about it, the NL has good pitching, maybe better than the AL.

7. BC - Sep 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM

DrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymoreDrewBarrymore

8. RickyB - Sep 10, 2010 at 10:10 AM

It’s actually a shame that no one has cataloged how many times the fake-to-third-spin-to-first move has “worked”, because it’s a lot more often than people realize. And many times, it isn’t used to pick a guy off, simply to keep a runner at first honest and wary of it, perhaps causing him to get a worse jump if he does try to steal. Think about how many pickoff throws are made to first in a season and how many times it “works” (meaning it picks off the runner). I’m guessing the percentage of fake-to-third-spin-to-first moves that “work” is not that dissimilar. Most pickoff moves are made simply to keep a runner close, not with the belief an out will be made (Andy Pettitte being one of the exceptions).

9. Joe - Sep 10, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Tim Wakefield made it work twice the other night against the Rays. I saw him do it last year, too, and as I was saying “oh-my-god-I’ve-never-seen-that-work-before,” somebody threw the ball away and we ended up with a run scored and an man on third.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act