Sep 10, 2010, 9:25 PM EST
OK, maybe not, but someone wants you to think he is.
According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, somebody circulated a fake press release promoting a book claimed to be written by Cubs general manager Jim Hendry. The title? “How to Finish Near Last Place with the Highest Payroll in the League.”
It gets better. Here are just a few of the chapter highlights:
- Why I signed Milton Bradley.
- Why I released Casey McGehee only to see him hit 20 home runs and drive in nearly 100 runs for a division rival.
- Why I signed players to long-term contracts with limited trade options.
According to Muskat, Brewers’ VP of Communications Tyler Barnes said the team is trying to determine who left the fake release in the press box.
“It’s an unfortunate incident and lousy attempt at a practical joke.”
Really? I thought it was pretty successful.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)