Sep 10, 2010, 11:59 AM EDT
Jayson Stark spends an awful lot of time in his latest column explaining how adding a second wild card team in each league would fix the problem of division races like that in the AL East being basically meaningless. He goes so far as to sketch out how it would work mechanically, how the schedule would break down and everything.
Here’s a concept: the Yankees-Rays race would be totally awesome and meaningful if there was no wild card to begin with.
But hey, if you want to further dilute the only major sport playoff that actually keeps bad teams out the vast majority of the time, by all means, go for it.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 56
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 123
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 39
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (118)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (118)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)