Sep 10, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Brad Mills’ managerial career got off to a rough start, as the Astros stumbled out of the gates with eight straight losses, had the majors’ worst record through two months at 17-34, and began trading away veterans a short time later.
However, since the calendar flipped to June the Astros have quietly gone 50-39 for the fourth-best record in the league behind only the Phillies, Giants, and Braves.
During that stretch Hunter Pence (.299/.351/.509) and Chris Johnson (.332/.364/.508) have led the offense, Brett Myers (2.75 ERA in 19 starts) and Wandy Rodriguez (2.99 ERA in 18 starts) have carried the rotation, and the bullpen has been shored up with Brandon Lyon closing and Wilton Lopez setting him up.
They’ll still need a very strong finish to avoid their third losing season in the past four years, but for over three months now the Astros have been playing much better than anyone could have possibly expected and even the future looks somewhat brighter thanks to general manager Ed Wade finally deciding it was time to do a full-scale rebuilding effort.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 52
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 12
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 32
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (184)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)