Heath Bell to Padres fans: Where were you?

Sep 10, 2010, 2:29 PM EDT

I’m assuming this is the real Heath Bell’s Twitter account, because if it were a fake you’d think it would be more interesting.  In any event, here’s what the person we’re pretty sure is the Padres’ closer tweeted after last night’s game:

I wanted to know where are the padre fans????????? Not at the park.

Good point!  It’s a four-gamer against the team on your heels, Padres fans! Get the heck out to Petco for cryin’ out loud! 28,000 and change showed up last night, which is only two-thirds full. What are you, Atlanta?

It’ll probably be better tonight, though. There’s a great reason to be downtown San Diego that mixes very nicely with a baseball game.

1. Spudchukar - Sep 10, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Good for you Craig. Watching the Card/Braves game last night really surprized me. It has to be disappointing to see all those empty seats in Atlanta going into this meaningful (hopefully for me and definately for you) series. I know it was Thursday and all, kids are back in school excuse, but I thought there was at least a bit of lingering rivalry left. The Georgia is a football state is wearing thin. Atlanta is a rapidly growing city and one would expect some of the attitudes would be changing too. But with such a young, dynamic team and Bobby Cox fading away soon (like MacArthur not to black) it sure would be nice to see a packed house. The Braves deserve it. Any tweeters on the Braves?

2. CM_Wang - Sep 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Needs more question marks.

3. lar @ wezen-ball - Sep 10, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Well, he’s not on the official MLB Twitter list (http://twitter.mlblogs.com/), but it could just be out of date.
    Lucky for them, at least, that the Chargers don’t play until Monday night. That could be ugly. (I’m actually very afraid to see what Miller Park will be like on Sunday… Packers fans won’t be there, but will Cubs fans? I’m hoping the Bears are enough to drive Chicago fans away from the game… I don’t want to be surrounded by Cubs fans)

4. DMAC - Sep 10, 2010 at 3:02 PM

In case you haven’t heard we are in a severe economic recession and most of us can’t afford tickets to professional ballgames. You want fans back in the seats get all the professional athletes to take a 75% paycut and reduce ticket prices by the same 75% along with parking and concessions and you might start seeing fans in the park again.

5. cgraydonhudson - Sep 10, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Craig — is that title a Mekons reference or a coincidence?

6. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 10, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Coincidence.

7. kranepool - Sep 10, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Hey Mets fans have not been showing up at Citi Field either but at least we have an excuse the team sucks

8. Jonny5 - Sep 10, 2010 at 3:37 PM

When the Phills were in SD (swept them btw) there was almost as many Philly fans there as Padres fans. I was astounded.

9. Utley's hair - Sep 10, 2010 at 3:46 PM

You just have to rub in the fact that the Phightins went into the Litter Box and took three out of three games from the team that formerly held the best record in the league, dintcha? That’s cold.

10. Marklar - Sep 10, 2010 at 3:47 PM

the Dad fans know whats coming and they dont want to be there when the Giants take over 1st place…. and I dont blame ‘em. As always there are more Giants fans at Petco than Padre fans.

11. Jonny5 - Sep 10, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Yeah, I’m such a di… not nice guy. Sometimes i can’t help myself. But the crowd in SD was full of red for those games. And that was really the point I was making. I should stop with the little diggs when making a point, it tends to distract doesn’t it?

12. Jay Seaver - Sep 10, 2010 at 4:12 PM

There are $10 bleacher tickets in PETCO park, and other sections look pretty reasonable too. Heck, from the point of view of a Red Sox fan, it looks like they ARE 75% off!

13. Utley's hair - Sep 10, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Nah. I’m just the type who has to flesh out those little digs beyond the original intent, thereby just irritating the original target more than they were before.

14. Jonny5 - Sep 10, 2010 at 4:34 PM

nice, we will get along just fine then.

15. ebraves - Sep 10, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Turner Field has $1 tickets available before every game.. Not sure what the excuse is there. Maybe transportation issues… the city recently killed the Braves shuttle program from MARTA.

16. Old Gator - Sep 10, 2010 at 11:50 PM

And where are all the Feesh fans? Are there all the Feesh fans? I suspect that most of them just live up north during the beisbol season and don’t get back to Macondo until around Thanksgiving. Then, of course, they go back north just after Easter or Passover. Then, there are a few of us, like me and BC, who hang around all year but have signed a non-attendance pact until Scrooge McLoria begins investing in his team again or, more likely, until he dies.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2575)