Sep 10, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
Those of us who have even heard of Eric Show probably can only say a few things about him. He pitched for the Padres in the 80s. He gave up Pete Rose’s 4,192nd hit. He was kind of a freaky John Birch Society guy. He had serious substance abuse issues that led to his death.
As is always the case, however, there is much more to the story. A great — but harrowing — place to start is Tom Friend’s riveting piece on Show at ESPN.com today.
And may none of us ever be judged or defined solely by our worst moments on this Earth.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)