Nyjer Morgan is getting a big talking-to today

Sep 10, 2010, 1:28 PM EDT

Nyjer Morgan’s appeal of his 176 day suspension (estimated) began at 10AM this morning.  Word around the Twitterverse is that it was still going on as of ten minutes ago.

I realize he’s been a bad boy and everything, but I’m having a hard time seeing why it would take that long to (a) let Morgan explain the artistic/political statement he was making while taunting the Florida crowd; and (b) have Bob Watson or Frank Robinson or whoever tear him a new one.  I mean, even if they bring in lunch it shoulda ended at 12:30, right?

Pray for Nyjer Morgan, my friends. Pray.

1. Old Gator - Sep 10, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Wish I could get a digital download of that hearing. Wish even more I could get one of Gaby Sanchez’ appeal.

2. Jonny5 - Sep 10, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Maybe he decided to whoop up on someone at the hearing? Or maybe he brought in a crime scene prop, showing, ” I was here at the time i was assaulted with a baseball” In which time I charged the mound to knock a fly off Volstads shoulder. I was being quite friendly I thought”. All in an English accent, because as we all well know, everyone named Nyjer is English. With a thick butler type accent of course.

3. BC - Sep 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Maybe a game of cribbage broke out in the middle of the hearing. Or Mah Jongg maybe.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 10, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I’m really hoping they drop the original 7 game suspension for playfully throwing the ball into the stands. I have friends who were at the game, sitting a section over, and they told me it was not malicious in any way. His other suspension is what it is. Next time, let yourself get hit as many times as the other team wants and just stand in the box and take it. That’s what baseball is saying. Cause if you charge the mound and then get blind-sided by some cheap-shot artist running over from first base, then you will get a heavy suspension.

5. scatterbrian - Sep 10, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Maybe Frank needed a nap.

6. Utley's hair - Sep 10, 2010 at 2:53 PM

What? I find that assertion to be highly suspect. Reasonable fans at the Bank? Everybody knows that Phightins phans are nothing but a mob of legions of thugs and barbarians who can’t finish a two word thought without spitting, growling, puking on somebody or hurling batteries or snowballs–especially at icons beloved by children the world over.

7. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 10, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Philly fans are the best fans in America. How much of an absolute disgrace is it to see teams in the playoff hunt, like Atlanta and Tampa Bay, with half-empty stadiums? While Philly has over 100 consecutive sell-outs. And you will NEVER see an Eagles game blacked out, as you are seeing in the NFL already for the first week. Anybody who bashes the Philly fan has no clue and just has an agenda…like most national writers do.

8. Utley's hair - Sep 10, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Recently, the Iggles have been in the upper echelon of the league–even a few years back when they were 8-8 (or was it 7-9?), the fans came out to see them. However, I do remember the lean years not so long ago, when the Vet was half empty and the games were blacked out, unless a local station guaranteed a sellout.

But, yeah, the teams in the pennant chase that aren’t selling out are pathetic. You hear that Craig? Get your buddies out there to watch Bobby’s swan song. It’s embarrassing seeing all those seats when they are “only” a game out of the East lead. I hesitate to liken it to the Dodgers.

9. Utley's hair - Sep 10, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Damn. That picture makes Morgan look older than Grampa Moyer.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3595)