Sep 10, 2010, 2:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal expands on Peter Gammons thing about Kevin Towers this morning, but simultaneously goes a long way towards contradicting it.
Yes, the Diamondbacks are interested in Towers, Rosenthal says, but (a) they haven’t spoken with him yet (contradicting Gammons’ implication that it’s all but a done deal); and (b) Towers probably wants way more money than the Diamondbacks are willing to pay a GM. He made $2 million with San Diego, Rosenthal says. Earlier today Buster Olney reported that the Dbacks would like to pay their GM around $1 million. That would likely keep Jerry DiPoto in the fold, but wouldn’t be enough for Towers, I assume.
And for those of you who forgot: the Dbacks are paying their old GM Josh Byrnes through 2015. So, yeah, nice planning there fellas.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 133
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 132
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (134)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)