Sep 10, 2010, 2:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal expands on Peter Gammons thing about Kevin Towers this morning, but simultaneously goes a long way towards contradicting it.
Yes, the Diamondbacks are interested in Towers, Rosenthal says, but (a) they haven’t spoken with him yet (contradicting Gammons’ implication that it’s all but a done deal); and (b) Towers probably wants way more money than the Diamondbacks are willing to pay a GM. He made $2 million with San Diego, Rosenthal says. Earlier today Buster Olney reported that the Dbacks would like to pay their GM around $1 million. That would likely keep Jerry DiPoto in the fold, but wouldn’t be enough for Towers, I assume.
And for those of you who forgot: the Dbacks are paying their old GM Josh Byrnes through 2015. So, yeah, nice planning there fellas.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)