Sep 10, 2010, 2:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal expands on Peter Gammons thing about Kevin Towers this morning, but simultaneously goes a long way towards contradicting it.
Yes, the Diamondbacks are interested in Towers, Rosenthal says, but (a) they haven’t spoken with him yet (contradicting Gammons’ implication that it’s all but a done deal); and (b) Towers probably wants way more money than the Diamondbacks are willing to pay a GM. He made $2 million with San Diego, Rosenthal says. Earlier today Buster Olney reported that the Dbacks would like to pay their GM around $1 million. That would likely keep Jerry DiPoto in the fold, but wouldn’t be enough for Towers, I assume.
And for those of you who forgot: the Dbacks are paying their old GM Josh Byrnes through 2015. So, yeah, nice planning there fellas.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 1
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 11
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)