Sep 10, 2010, 2:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal expands on Peter Gammons thing about Kevin Towers this morning, but simultaneously goes a long way towards contradicting it.
Yes, the Diamondbacks are interested in Towers, Rosenthal says, but (a) they haven’t spoken with him yet (contradicting Gammons’ implication that it’s all but a done deal); and (b) Towers probably wants way more money than the Diamondbacks are willing to pay a GM. He made $2 million with San Diego, Rosenthal says. Earlier today Buster Olney reported that the Dbacks would like to pay their GM around $1 million. That would likely keep Jerry DiPoto in the fold, but wouldn’t be enough for Towers, I assume.
And for those of you who forgot: the Dbacks are paying their old GM Josh Byrnes through 2015. So, yeah, nice planning there fellas.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)