Pete Rose: be nice to the Commissioner of Baseball

Sep 10, 2010, 3:32 PM EDT

Rick Reilly asked Pete Rose what he thought about Fay Vincent’s recent statement that Bud Selig should not allow Rose to participate in a ceremony honor the 1970s Reds this weekend:

“Fay Vincent’s never had a nice thing to say about me in his whole
life. That’s
fine with me. But he’s bashing the commissioner. And when you bash the
commissioner, you bash baseball. I would never bash baseball.”

Pete Rose would lie to the Commissioner. He would sue the Commissioner. He would repeatedly break the rule which is the very reason why there is a Commissioner of Baseball in the first place and — at least if you listen to some people — he’d drive the Commissioner into an early grave, but by gum, he would never bash the Commissioner of Baseball.

We ought to give him a parade or somethin’.

1. Jaysus - Sep 10, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I would pay for a ticket to the Pete Rose Parade.

2. The Count - Sep 10, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, buy I am damn well sick about hearing or reading about Pete Rose, no longer in baseball or Tiger Woods, who is no longer a factor in Golf. When and if Tiger returns to his old stature, then and only then should the media go back to him. Hey, Reporters, t here are other stories to be told and other athletes tho talk about. Get a life or get another profession. You’re beginning to become boring.

3. dagodfather - Sep 10, 2010 at 4:06 PM

He’d probably charge $10 a head for a parade

4. The Count - Sep 10, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I am sick and tired of hearing about Pete Rose, “no longer in baseball.” And, I am equally sick and tired of hearing about Tiger Woods, “still active but no longer a contender, merely a pretender. If and when he returns to his past stature then bring it on. If not, let it go. When will the media do their jobs and talk about players and athletes who are on the rise and those who have made it and are still making it? Suggestion? Do youor job or get another profession.

5. Largebill - Sep 10, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Jaysus,
    You’d have to pay. Nothing is free if Pete is involved.

6. Jonny5 - Sep 10, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I’d take the family. Why is it that no matter how much he has done wrong, people still love him?

7. RichardInBigD - Sep 10, 2010 at 4:46 PM

That’s an easy one. They love Pete because when he played the game, he did so with more enthusiasm and reckless abandon than anyone I’ve ever seen in a uniform, and I am now in my 50′s. They also love him because, while he may have changed it up some from time to time, he always has a hairstyle that’s entirely too young for his current age… Oh, and 4,256.

8. Lou Stools - Sep 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM

It’s proven he used a corked bat in games. He whined about not getting a grooved pitch when he was chasing DiMaggio’s streak. He deliberately injured Ray Fosse in an All-Star game. He bet on his own team.
    He also hit so many singles he should have worn a dress.

9. Lou Stools - Sep 10, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Rose had 4,256 hits, but 4,250 of them were singles and none were against Walter Johnson, Christy Matthewson or Grover Cleveland Alexander.

10. SouthofHeaven - Sep 10, 2010 at 6:51 PM

You kiddin’ me? Look at that slide!!!

11. Kevin S. - Sep 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Here’s a hint – articles have these things called “headlines.” They tell you about the subject of the article. If it is a subject you do not want to read about, you are free to not click on it.
    I hope that was helpful.

12. Buccofan - Sep 10, 2010 at 8:55 PM

I have the misfortune of having to attend tomorrow night’s Reds game (family thing). As soon as the ceremonies start, I may go to the men’s room to vomit.
    BTW, Pete isn’t even staying for the game. He’s being “honored” with a “celebrity roast” at, you guessed it, the nearest casino, and has to be there by 8:00.

13. CYGNUS X-1 - Sep 10, 2010 at 11:03 PM

stools should change his name to tool.yea he has a prior contract to the casino which was set up back in april before the reds had anything planned and even if he had known about baseball just decided he could attend. the guy has to make a living and since baseball won’t let him do it I got no problem with him making it anyway he can.nobody forces anyone to pay for his autograph. they do it because he was a great player who always played hard.and stools it is all about getting on base which he did with a steroid free record of hits!

14. BigOldBarn - Sep 11, 2010 at 3:57 AM

The only reason Pete Rose wants to get into the Hall of Fame is so he can charge an extra $50 for his autograph.

15. Old Gator - Sep 11, 2010 at 10:16 AM

This idea that Pete Rose “killed” Bart Giamatti is horseshit. Three to four packs of cigarettes a day for most of his adult life killed him. A guy as learned and as intelligent as Giamatti had to know that he was poisoning himself on a daily basis but refused to quit. The late commissioner contributed much more to his own demise than his job ever could. Let’s stop blaming Pete Rose for it.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto