Sep 10, 2010, 9:12 AM EDT
I got nothing against Ruben Amaro Jr. or MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki — they both do a fine job — but this exchange between them regarding Jimmy Rollins’ hamstring injury pretty much explains why I think media access to baseball teams is overrated:
“He’s better today,” Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. “I’m
not sure when he’s going to play, but he’s better. We don’t think it’s a
Any chance he plays Friday against the New York Mets at Citi Field?
“It’s possible, but he could miss the whole weekend,” Amaro said. “He
could play [Friday]. He could play Saturday. He could play Sunday or
Monday. I don’t know yet.”
That’s basically the definition of day-to-day, which is what the Phillies declared Rollins to begin with via a simple statement. I know everyone has a job to do and everything, but it strikes me that 90% of official, sanctioned team-reporter interaction consists of the team not really saying anything about anything. All of the good stuff comes from unofficial chatter, anonymous sources and the like.
Makes me feel for both the beat writers who have to try and get something out of that brick wall and team personnel who get asked the same thing all the time.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)