Sep 10, 2010, 9:12 AM EDT
I got nothing against Ruben Amaro Jr. or MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki — they both do a fine job — but this exchange between them regarding Jimmy Rollins’ hamstring injury pretty much explains why I think media access to baseball teams is overrated:
“He’s better today,” Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. “I’m
not sure when he’s going to play, but he’s better. We don’t think it’s a
Any chance he plays Friday against the New York Mets at Citi Field?
“It’s possible, but he could miss the whole weekend,” Amaro said. “He
could play [Friday]. He could play Saturday. He could play Sunday or
Monday. I don’t know yet.”
That’s basically the definition of day-to-day, which is what the Phillies declared Rollins to begin with via a simple statement. I know everyone has a job to do and everything, but it strikes me that 90% of official, sanctioned team-reporter interaction consists of the team not really saying anything about anything. All of the good stuff comes from unofficial chatter, anonymous sources and the like.
Makes me feel for both the beat writers who have to try and get something out of that brick wall and team personnel who get asked the same thing all the time.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)