Sep 10, 2010, 9:12 AM EDT
I got nothing against Ruben Amaro Jr. or MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki — they both do a fine job — but this exchange between them regarding Jimmy Rollins’ hamstring injury pretty much explains why I think media access to baseball teams is overrated:
“He’s better today,” Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. “I’m
not sure when he’s going to play, but he’s better. We don’t think it’s a
Any chance he plays Friday against the New York Mets at Citi Field?
“It’s possible, but he could miss the whole weekend,” Amaro said. “He
could play [Friday]. He could play Saturday. He could play Sunday or
Monday. I don’t know yet.”
That’s basically the definition of day-to-day, which is what the Phillies declared Rollins to begin with via a simple statement. I know everyone has a job to do and everything, but it strikes me that 90% of official, sanctioned team-reporter interaction consists of the team not really saying anything about anything. All of the good stuff comes from unofficial chatter, anonymous sources and the like.
Makes me feel for both the beat writers who have to try and get something out of that brick wall and team personnel who get asked the same thing all the time.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)