The last take — and best take — on the Mets-Walter Reed non-story

Sep 10, 2010, 8:47 AM EDT

Sam Page from Amazin’ Avenue nails the New York press to a freakin’ tree:

The best part is how these journalists created the players’ insidious
motives–by involving baseball. Because they’re not team players on the
field and in the clubhouse, it’s no surprise they fund Hamas and hunt
bald eagles in their spare time, all to get back at Fred Wilpon for
paying them hundreds of millions of dollars. The press created a story
to play on the universal sentiment that there are things greater than
baseball and money, but in doing so, completely trivialized something
important by unduly making it about baseball and money.

I’m with him 95%. I’ll just note, though, that there’s nothing wrong with hunting tasty, tasty bald eagles. The wild turkey should have been our national bird anyway.

1. Jonny5 - Sep 10, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I’d say by Ben’s description, as a government we’ve grown right into the Bald Eagle perfectly.

2. BC - Sep 10, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I still think it’s no coincidence that the three guys that blew off the trip have had the most problems with Mets management of anyone on the team. I don’t care about muckraking journalism, or what country these guys are from. If you just offhandedly told me the three guys that didn’t go on the trip, I’d draw the same conclusion – it was (as a commenter in an earlier thread put it) them giving an eff-you to Mets management. It’s no coincidence.

3. Wooden U Lykteneau - Sep 10, 2010 at 10:46 AM

You don’t care about muckraking journalism because you don’t know what it is. Sadly, you are in the majority.

4. BC - Sep 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I don’t know what it is? C’mon. There’s a reason I read the NY Times and not the NY Post.

5. John_Michael - Sep 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM

What’s Colin Cowherd’s take on this?

6. RickB - Sep 10, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Since it doesn’t involve college football–and that would mean SEC or Big 12, the only true college football–it isn’t important.

All the trade deadline news to know