Ho-hum: Mark Buehrle was called for two balks last night

Sep 11, 2010, 1:44 PM EDT

And you’ll never guess who the umpiring crew was. That’s right. Joe West’s crew. As you probably remember, West ejected Buehrle and White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen after he called the left-hander for two balks in May. He was later fined for his actions.

While West didn’t call any of the balks himself this time — first base umpire Dan Bellino called the first one and home plate umpire Angel Hernandez called the second — West was stationed at third base.

Buehrle didn’t have a tough time putting two and two together, according to Scott Merkin of MLB.com.

“I don’t know. I’ve got four balks — and they’re all against this
crew,” Buehrle said. “I’ve looked at the replay, and you look at side
angles. We’ve got cameras from every angle. I stepped the same, just
like I do every time.”

Buehrle managed to stay in the game this time, but White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was ejected after arguing the second balk call with Hernandez. He even had some words with West on the way out.

“I wish I was in Venezuela. I could say whatever I want,” Guillen said.
“But I’ve got to protect my players. I never thought it was a balk, but
when they called the balk you have to respect that. But this is my job,
to go there and protect them. I will do anything to protect my players.
That’s what I do best.”

I have a feeling this isn’t the last we have heard of this situation. My only regret is that we didn’t get to hear Hawk Harrelson doing the play-by-play of this game. Oh well, guess I’ll just have to settle for this amazing soundboard.

1. walk - Sep 11, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Buehrle has one of the best moves i have seen. Its alwaays looked like a borderline balk to me but i never saw it called before now. I believe i saw him pitch against the braves and bob davidson was on the crew and no balk was called. At that point i figured it was just a great move if balking bob didnt call it. I could be wrong about balking bob being on the crew though, i watch games to see the players and not the umpires who are just extra pieces of the field.

2. Giant Space Ants - Sep 11, 2010 at 4:02 PM

“I wish I was in Venezuela. I could say whatever I want.” Well, not quite Ozzie, but I guess that wasn’t what you meant.

3. Mrsteve - Sep 11, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Ozzie
    Try not being the stereotype your whole life man

4. Glenn - Sep 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Why does Joe West still have a job? The evidence of his issues keep compounding.

5. OldDutchPots - Sep 11, 2010 at 5:36 PM

I don’t know much about Ozzie’s feelings about Venezuela’s current political situation, but I believe he was being knowingly absurd by making a hyperbolic comparison between MLB’s hypersensitivity over players and managers criticizing clearly incompetent umpires and Venezuela.

6. gmsingh - Sep 11, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Joe West has a job because Bud Selig is the biggest horse’s ass in the history of horse’s asses.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3486)