Sep 11, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
Justin Masterson will pitch as a reliever for the remainder of the season in an effort to limit his workload, according to the Indians’ official Twitter feed. He will be available out of the bullpen for tonight’s game against the Twins.
Masterson is at 166 innings this season after throwing 129 1/3 innings between the Red Sox and Indians last season. Besides jockeying with the Royals for last place in the AL Central, the Indians don’t have much to play for, so it makes plenty of sense to manage him carefully down the stretch.
The 25-year-old right-hander has struggled at times this season, but has rallied to lower his ERA from 5.47 to 4.88 over the past month. Masterson posted a 1.74 ERA over his final three starts, including seven innings of one-run ball in a win over the Angels on Tuesday.
A groundball pitcher like Masterson will probably see his luck fluctuate from year-to-year, but as long as he can continue to improve his command, he should be a pretty useful starter for the Indians moving forward.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 133
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 132
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (135)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)