Sep 11, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
Justin Masterson will pitch as a reliever for the remainder of the season in an effort to limit his workload, according to the Indians’ official Twitter feed. He will be available out of the bullpen for tonight’s game against the Twins.
Masterson is at 166 innings this season after throwing 129 1/3 innings between the Red Sox and Indians last season. Besides jockeying with the Royals for last place in the AL Central, the Indians don’t have much to play for, so it makes plenty of sense to manage him carefully down the stretch.
The 25-year-old right-hander has struggled at times this season, but has rallied to lower his ERA from 5.47 to 4.88 over the past month. Masterson posted a 1.74 ERA over his final three starts, including seven innings of one-run ball in a win over the Angels on Tuesday.
A groundball pitcher like Masterson will probably see his luck fluctuate from year-to-year, but as long as he can continue to improve his command, he should be a pretty useful starter for the Indians moving forward.
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 4
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 30
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)