Sep 12, 2010, 3:01 PM EST
The run of high-impact promotions this season in Major League Baseball has been incredible. And it’s not yet complete.
According to the Associated Press, via ESPN.com, the Blue Jays called up right-handed prospect Kyle Drabek from Double-A New Hampshire on Sunday and plan to start him Wednesday against the Orioles.
We’ve seen great performances all around the league this year from mid-season call-ups. Mike Stanton has turned the power down with the Marlins, Buster Posey provided a spark with the Giants, and Aroldis Chapman is hitting triple-digits with his fastball for the Reds. Youngsters are making headlines all around the baseball universe in 2010. Drabek shouldn’t disappoint, either.
Acquired from the Phillies for Roy Halladay back in December of 2009, the 22-year-old righty has thrown together a 2.94 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 27 starts at the Double-A level this season. He threw a no-hitter on July 4 and has tallied 132 strikeouts in 162 innings.
The Blue Jays will go with a six-man rotation down the stretch to ensure Drabek gets regular looks.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)