Sep 12, 2010, 9:52 AM EDT
Ken Davidoff of New York’s Newsday has some predictions — we’ll call them educated guesses — as to how the Mets will adjust their management and upper management situations this offseason.
First, Davidoff says that general manager Omar Minaya “very likely will be” reassigned to a different tole and that Jerry Manuel “won’t be back as manager.” Davidoff expects those moves to be made on October 4 or 5, right after the regular season ends.
As for replacements? The Mets, according to Davidoff, will probably pull a person from outside the organization to head up baseball operations. Manuel’s post, however, is “more likely” to go to a candidate with ties to the Mets, like a Wally Backman or maybe even Bobby Valentine.
Valentine managed the Mets from 1996 to 2002 and hasn’t played the role of skipper in the majors since his firing. But any bad blood between the organization and Bobby V has likely faded over the last eight years.
Backman was a popular player in Queens back in the 80s and is currently managing the Brooklyn Cyclones, a Mets affiliate. The higher-ups in the organization “seem to think he’s ready,” according to Davidoff, and he should come at a much lighter salary than Valentine.
This is sure to be a hot news item into early October. We’ll keep you updated on any kind of movement.
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)