Sep 12, 2010, 9:52 AM EDT
Ken Davidoff of New York’s Newsday has some predictions — we’ll call them educated guesses — as to how the Mets will adjust their management and upper management situations this offseason.
First, Davidoff says that general manager Omar Minaya “very likely will be” reassigned to a different tole and that Jerry Manuel “won’t be back as manager.” Davidoff expects those moves to be made on October 4 or 5, right after the regular season ends.
As for replacements? The Mets, according to Davidoff, will probably pull a person from outside the organization to head up baseball operations. Manuel’s post, however, is “more likely” to go to a candidate with ties to the Mets, like a Wally Backman or maybe even Bobby Valentine.
Valentine managed the Mets from 1996 to 2002 and hasn’t played the role of skipper in the majors since his firing. But any bad blood between the organization and Bobby V has likely faded over the last eight years.
Backman was a popular player in Queens back in the 80s and is currently managing the Brooklyn Cyclones, a Mets affiliate. The higher-ups in the organization “seem to think he’s ready,” according to Davidoff, and he should come at a much lighter salary than Valentine.
This is sure to be a hot news item into early October. We’ll keep you updated on any kind of movement.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (154)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)