Sep 12, 2010, 5:52 PM EDT
Paul Konerko, an impending free agent, is lighting up scoreboards all over the majors this season. He boasts a .322/.399/.598 batting line over 497 at-bats with 36 home runs and 104 RBI.
Make no mistake, the White Sox want him in their lineup for the 2011 season and beyond. But will they buck up and shell out the kind of contract that it’s going to take to bring him back? General manager Kenny Williams spoke with MLB.com’s Scott Merkin about the matter on Sunday.
“I would love to have him retire as a White Sox,” said Williams. “That’s pretty much all I’m going to say on it, because I don’t know
what the future holds. I don’t know how we are going
to finish. We are driven by the revenue stream that comes in. People might not like it but it is what it is.”
That’s general-manager-speak, which translated means that Williams and Co. are going to do their best to bring Konerko back but understand that many other teams will be looking for a reliable power bat. The 34-year-old Konerko should have plenty of suitors this winter.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (75)