Sep 12, 2010, 5:52 PM EDT
Paul Konerko, an impending free agent, is lighting up scoreboards all over the majors this season. He boasts a .322/.399/.598 batting line over 497 at-bats with 36 home runs and 104 RBI.
Make no mistake, the White Sox want him in their lineup for the 2011 season and beyond. But will they buck up and shell out the kind of contract that it’s going to take to bring him back? General manager Kenny Williams spoke with MLB.com’s Scott Merkin about the matter on Sunday.
“I would love to have him retire as a White Sox,” said Williams. “That’s pretty much all I’m going to say on it, because I don’t know
what the future holds. I don’t know how we are going
to finish. We are driven by the revenue stream that comes in. People might not like it but it is what it is.”
That’s general-manager-speak, which translated means that Williams and Co. are going to do their best to bring Konerko back but understand that many other teams will be looking for a reliable power bat. The 34-year-old Konerko should have plenty of suitors this winter.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 29
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 10
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games