Sep 13, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
San Diego’s collapse has dropped the Padres into a first-place tie with the Giants atop the NL West, but equally amazing is that the Rockies are now just 1.5 games back in the division thanks to their current 10-game winning streak.
Colorado hasn’t lost since September 2, slicing their deficit from 7.5 games to 1.5 games during that time in what has almost become a standard performance by the Rockies in the season’s final month.
Not only are they 10-2 so far this September, the Rockies went 18-9 last September and 20-8 in September of 2007 on their way to the World Series.
Many things have changed in that time, including the Rockies’ manager, but over the past four seasons Colorado is 58-33 (.674) in September compared to 277-262 (.513) in all other months.
Or put another way, in September they’ve played like a 110-win team and in all other months they’ve played like an 83-win team.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)