Sep 13, 2010, 10:01 AM EDT
What you missed while shamefully watching lesser sports:
- The Mets have all of their firings planned out. Good to see them plan something.
- Sticking with the Mets, Jason Bay is holding out hope
that he can return this season. I’m holding out hope that they’ll
release “WKRP in Cincinnati” on DVD with the original songs restored
instead of those awful generic ones, but at least I’m coming to grips
with reality. Hold me closer, tiny dancer.
- Jim Hendry is not releasing a book about all of his mistakes. But if he did, I’d probably buy it. Just sayin’, Jim.
- Scott Boras is angry at the Mets. How very dog-bites-man. Find me someone with a vested interest who isn’t angry with the Mets.
- There was some really ugly baseball being played in Arlington over the weekend.
- A.J. Hinch to join the Padres’ scouting department. I realize that the Dbacks manager’s job was hard to turn down, but if he had stayed in player development he might be on the cusp of landing a GM job right now.
- Bob Geren is coming back for 2011. He’s done a good job. More importantly, he and Billy Beane are really, really tight. We’re going to wake up one day and Bob Geren will be the longest tenured manager in baseball and we’re all going to say “wow, really?”
- Mike Lowell is retiring. Yeah, the $12 million or whatever it is made things nice and bearable, but it was a pretty miserable year for the guy in many ways.
- Heard this: Andres Torres’ appendix has money on the Rockies. Keep it under your hat.
- The White Sox want Paul Konerko back next year. If they felt that way about Jim Thome last year they’d probably be going to the playoffs.
OK, now I feel less out of whack. We now return you to your work week, which was already in progress.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (127)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (110)