Sep 13, 2010, 10:01 AM EST
What you missed while shamefully watching lesser sports:
- The Mets have all of their firings planned out. Good to see them plan something.
- Sticking with the Mets, Jason Bay is holding out hope
that he can return this season. I’m holding out hope that they’ll
release “WKRP in Cincinnati” on DVD with the original songs restored
instead of those awful generic ones, but at least I’m coming to grips
with reality. Hold me closer, tiny dancer.
- Jim Hendry is not releasing a book about all of his mistakes. But if he did, I’d probably buy it. Just sayin’, Jim.
- Scott Boras is angry at the Mets. How very dog-bites-man. Find me someone with a vested interest who isn’t angry with the Mets.
- There was some really ugly baseball being played in Arlington over the weekend.
- A.J. Hinch to join the Padres’ scouting department. I realize that the Dbacks manager’s job was hard to turn down, but if he had stayed in player development he might be on the cusp of landing a GM job right now.
- Bob Geren is coming back for 2011. He’s done a good job. More importantly, he and Billy Beane are really, really tight. We’re going to wake up one day and Bob Geren will be the longest tenured manager in baseball and we’re all going to say “wow, really?”
- Mike Lowell is retiring. Yeah, the $12 million or whatever it is made things nice and bearable, but it was a pretty miserable year for the guy in many ways.
- Heard this: Andres Torres’ appendix has money on the Rockies. Keep it under your hat.
- The White Sox want Paul Konerko back next year. If they felt that way about Jim Thome last year they’d probably be going to the playoffs.
OK, now I feel less out of whack. We now return you to your work week, which was already in progress.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 70
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)