Sep 13, 2010, 10:01 AM EDT
What you missed while shamefully watching lesser sports:
- The Mets have all of their firings planned out. Good to see them plan something.
- Sticking with the Mets, Jason Bay is holding out hope
that he can return this season. I’m holding out hope that they’ll
release “WKRP in Cincinnati” on DVD with the original songs restored
instead of those awful generic ones, but at least I’m coming to grips
with reality. Hold me closer, tiny dancer.
- Jim Hendry is not releasing a book about all of his mistakes. But if he did, I’d probably buy it. Just sayin’, Jim.
- Scott Boras is angry at the Mets. How very dog-bites-man. Find me someone with a vested interest who isn’t angry with the Mets.
- There was some really ugly baseball being played in Arlington over the weekend.
- A.J. Hinch to join the Padres’ scouting department. I realize that the Dbacks manager’s job was hard to turn down, but if he had stayed in player development he might be on the cusp of landing a GM job right now.
- Bob Geren is coming back for 2011. He’s done a good job. More importantly, he and Billy Beane are really, really tight. We’re going to wake up one day and Bob Geren will be the longest tenured manager in baseball and we’re all going to say “wow, really?”
- Mike Lowell is retiring. Yeah, the $12 million or whatever it is made things nice and bearable, but it was a pretty miserable year for the guy in many ways.
- Heard this: Andres Torres’ appendix has money on the Rockies. Keep it under your hat.
- The White Sox want Paul Konerko back next year. If they felt that way about Jim Thome last year they’d probably be going to the playoffs.
OK, now I feel less out of whack. We now return you to your work week, which was already in progress.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 133
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 132
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (134)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)