Sep 13, 2010, 9:38 AM EDT
Umpire Angel Campos underwent an emergency appendectomy after being scratched from the Cleveland Indians game on Saturday night.
Campos was replaced on the crew Sunday for the Cleveland Indians’ game against the Minnesota Twins by D.J. Reyburn.
The 37-year-old Campos, in his first year of working major league
games, was scheduled to work home plate Saturday, but became ill during a
1-hour, 50-minute rain delay that postponed the start. He was taken to
Lutheran Hospital and had the emergency surgery.
Campos is OK. And the fans in Cleveland were treated to the always fun two-umps-covering-the-basepaths setup for the game.
*I’m a big fan of ratcheting-up the rhetoric when it comes to health issues. One of the neatest things I’ve heard in recent years is how the health care industry is starting to call strokes “brain attacks” so as to emphasize just how serious they are to the public. I think we should do it with everything. Appendix attack. Tooth attack. Nose attack. I may have gone to (and subsequently flunked out of) medical school if there were more action-packed terms associated with it 15 or 20 years ago.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead