Sep 13, 2010, 9:38 AM EDT
Umpire Angel Campos underwent an emergency appendectomy after being scratched from the Cleveland Indians game on Saturday night.
Campos was replaced on the crew Sunday for the Cleveland Indians’ game against the Minnesota Twins by D.J. Reyburn.
The 37-year-old Campos, in his first year of working major league
games, was scheduled to work home plate Saturday, but became ill during a
1-hour, 50-minute rain delay that postponed the start. He was taken to
Lutheran Hospital and had the emergency surgery.
Campos is OK. And the fans in Cleveland were treated to the always fun two-umps-covering-the-basepaths setup for the game.
*I’m a big fan of ratcheting-up the rhetoric when it comes to health issues. One of the neatest things I’ve heard in recent years is how the health care industry is starting to call strokes “brain attacks” so as to emphasize just how serious they are to the public. I think we should do it with everything. Appendix attack. Tooth attack. Nose attack. I may have gone to (and subsequently flunked out of) medical school if there were more action-packed terms associated with it 15 or 20 years ago.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)