Jeff Francoeur got a game-winning "hit" off Mariano Rivera

Sep 13, 2010, 9:12 AM EDT

This went down in the wee wee hours of Sunday morning so a ton of people missed it, but Jeff Francoeur had a walkoff hit against Mariano Rivera. Hit-by-pitch, that is.

The Rangers trailed 6-5 heading into the ninth and it was enter sandman. Rivera walked Vladimir Guerrero, who
was replaced by pinch-runner Esteban German. The Nelson Cruz singled and Ian Kinsler doubled, which scored German. Joe Girardi then had Mo walk Chris Davis to get to Matt Treanor. Ron Washington pinch hit Andres Blanco for him and he popped out.  Up comes Francoeur, who who most people would have bet their baseball card collection wouldn’t be able to touch Rivera. Hell, I would have bet my son that he’d hit into a double play.

But he can’t do that if he doesn’t swing, and he didn’t have to: Mo’s first pitch grazed Frenchie’s left arm (video here). I’d like to think the ump heard it nick the jersey or something, but he may have made the call based on Francoeur’s dramatic reaction to it. According to the game story he yelled “It hit my arm! It hit my arm!” I’ve spilled gallons of ink slamming Francoeur over the years, but the young man gave me a smile with that one. His teammates too:

“Great … awesome,” Rangers starter Tommy Hunter said. “Glad to see
Frenchy could stand up there and get hit. He made sure the whole world
knew he was hit. That was funny.”

Please correct me the next time I say that Francoeur has no vaule, because that’s clearly not the case. Dude’s a Mariano Rivera killer, I tells ya.

1. Simon DelMonte - Sep 13, 2010 at 9:37 AM

I love the irony of this, and was waiting to see what you would say about the meeting of the best reliever of this (and maybe any) era and your favorite obsession.
    There is something very Homer Simpson about this. I wonder if Ron Washington was busy making too many signs in the dugout.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 13, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Bases loaded and one out…any hitter with even the least amount of pride will want to at worst, hit a long fly ball to win the game there. Frenchy? He’ll be happy with a lame “grazed-by-pitch”. Yeah, I know he was trying to win any way he could…but seriously? Give me a freaking break. I picture the Godfather grabbing him when he was saying “It hit me!!! It hit me!!!” and slapping him in the face and saying “ACT LIKE A MAN!!!!!!”

3. SadPandaRevolt - Sep 13, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Thank You.

4. easports82 - Sep 13, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Roger Dorn lives!

5. Utley's hair - Sep 13, 2010 at 11:27 AM

So, Frenchie is heading to the postseason, and the Mutts are not…must feel great at Citi Field.
    But, Craig, you’ve been betting your son a lot lately. Is this because he knows you keep Tiffany in the basement?

6. Utley's hair - Sep 13, 2010 at 11:47 AM

But if it makes you feel any better, it looks like Frenchie’s trying to convince Mike Maddux and Esteban German that “Yes, I did, in fact, get hit right here. Can’t you see it?”

Three legends off to Cooperstown