Sep 13, 2010, 9:12 AM EDT
This went down in the wee wee hours of Sunday morning so a ton of people missed it, but Jeff Francoeur had a walkoff hit against Mariano Rivera. Hit-by-pitch, that is.
The Rangers trailed 6-5 heading into the ninth and it was enter sandman. Rivera walked Vladimir Guerrero, who
was replaced by pinch-runner Esteban German. The Nelson Cruz singled and Ian Kinsler doubled, which scored German. Joe Girardi then had Mo walk Chris Davis to get to Matt Treanor. Ron Washington pinch hit Andres Blanco for him and he popped out. Up comes Francoeur, who who most people would have bet their baseball card collection wouldn’t be able to touch Rivera. Hell, I would have bet my son that he’d hit into a double play.
But he can’t do that if he doesn’t swing, and he didn’t have to: Mo’s first pitch grazed Frenchie’s left arm (video here). I’d like to think the ump heard it nick the jersey or something, but he may have made the call based on Francoeur’s dramatic reaction to it. According to the game story he yelled “It hit my arm! It hit my arm!” I’ve spilled gallons of ink slamming Francoeur over the years, but the young man gave me a smile with that one. His teammates too:
“Great … awesome,” Rangers starter Tommy Hunter said. “Glad to see
Frenchy could stand up there and get hit. He made sure the whole world
knew he was hit. That was funny.”
Please correct me the next time I say that Francoeur has no vaule, because that’s clearly not the case. Dude’s a Mariano Rivera killer, I tells ya.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)