Sep 13, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Johan Santana — previously diagnosed with shoulder nastiness that requires season-ending surgey — got a second opinion today. Except he got it from Dr. James Andrews, and I can’t remember the last time a pitcher saw him and was found not to need an operation. So the “ayes” have it, Santana will go under the knife tomorrow and he’s done for the year.
UPDATE: many people are bombarding me with examples of pitchers who were judged to be A-OK after seeing Andrews. At times like these I wish I had a reputation for shamelessly ignoring facts in order to stick with dumb points, but I just haven’t been in this business long enough, I guess, so I stand corrected.
As I mentioned on Friday, the time frame for throwing — not pitching, but throwing — is the beginning of spring training. Whether he’d be ready to actually pitch with the 2011 season begins, therefore, is an open question.
And not to be a gloomy Gus about it or anything, but Mets players who are “out for the year” have a funny way of missing half the next year too (See, Beltran, Carlos; Reyes, Jose). Or more (Escobar, Kelvim).
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)