Sep 13, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
Johan Santana — previously diagnosed with shoulder nastiness that requires season-ending surgey — got a second opinion today. Except he got it from Dr. James Andrews, and I can’t remember the last time a pitcher saw him and was found not to need an operation. So the “ayes” have it, Santana will go under the knife tomorrow and he’s done for the year.
UPDATE: many people are bombarding me with examples of pitchers who were judged to be A-OK after seeing Andrews. At times like these I wish I had a reputation for shamelessly ignoring facts in order to stick with dumb points, but I just haven’t been in this business long enough, I guess, so I stand corrected.
As I mentioned on Friday, the time frame for throwing — not pitching, but throwing — is the beginning of spring training. Whether he’d be ready to actually pitch with the 2011 season begins, therefore, is an open question.
And not to be a gloomy Gus about it or anything, but Mets players who are “out for the year” have a funny way of missing half the next year too (See, Beltran, Carlos; Reyes, Jose). Or more (Escobar, Kelvim).
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)