Sep 13, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
When the Rangers clinch the AL West, there will be a beer and champagne shower. That’s just how it goes. But one of the biggest reasons they’ll clinch that title is Josh Hamilton, who happens to have a serious substance abuse history:
Hamilton has been trying to find a way to enjoy the party without ingesting any alcohol.
“I’m going to have goggles on, duct tape over the mouth and either a
wetsuit or raincoat,” he said. “It can’t get on your skin. It’ll soak
through your skin.
“I don’t want to send the wrong message to people who might see
pictures and think I’m not serious about recovery or what it stands
My experience with this sort of thing is quite limited, but it strikes me that the post game celebration would be a great time for Hamilton and whoever else is averse to the bubbly to go out onto the field and do a meet-and-greet and what have you with kids or something.
I can’t imagine being in that situation if my body had an unhealthy craving for something that would likely mean my destruction.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)