Sep 13, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
When the Rangers clinch the AL West, there will be a beer and champagne shower. That’s just how it goes. But one of the biggest reasons they’ll clinch that title is Josh Hamilton, who happens to have a serious substance abuse history:
Hamilton has been trying to find a way to enjoy the party without ingesting any alcohol.
“I’m going to have goggles on, duct tape over the mouth and either a
wetsuit or raincoat,” he said. “It can’t get on your skin. It’ll soak
through your skin.
“I don’t want to send the wrong message to people who might see
pictures and think I’m not serious about recovery or what it stands
My experience with this sort of thing is quite limited, but it strikes me that the post game celebration would be a great time for Hamilton and whoever else is averse to the bubbly to go out onto the field and do a meet-and-greet and what have you with kids or something.
I can’t imagine being in that situation if my body had an unhealthy craving for something that would likely mean my destruction.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)