Josh Hamilton is wary of the beer shower

Sep 13, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT

When the Rangers clinch the AL West, there will be a beer and champagne shower. That’s just how it goes. But one of the biggest reasons they’ll clinch that title is Josh Hamilton, who happens to have a serious substance abuse history:

Hamilton has been trying to find a way to enjoy the party without ingesting any alcohol.

“I’m going to have goggles on, duct tape over the mouth and either a
wetsuit or raincoat,” he said. “It can’t get on your skin. It’ll soak
through your skin.

“I don’t want to send the wrong message to people who might see
pictures and think I’m not serious about recovery or what it stands
for.”

My experience with this sort of thing is quite limited, but it strikes me that the post game celebration would be a great time for Hamilton and whoever else is averse to the bubbly to go out onto the field and do a meet-and-greet and what have you with kids or something.

I can’t imagine being in that situation if my body had an unhealthy craving for something that would likely mean my destruction.

1. BC - Sep 13, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Didn’t the Angels have a non-alcoholic spray-down last year after that pitcher was killed? I seem to also remember some team a while back doing the same because they had two or three born-again Christians on the team that didn’t drink (or something like that). I think there’s precedent.
    Why not use sparkling water or have a group pie-fest?

2. Jonny5 - Sep 13, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Awesome Idea!!! A groupie fest is such an awesome idea BC, I can’t believe someone hasn’t thunk it before. Well besides Jeter and all…
    But in all seriousness, I like Craigs meet and greet idea best. The wetsuit? Someone tell him why it’s called a wet suit please. That would be 10 times worse than getting it on your bare skin. He might want to look for a dry suit instead.

3. Mr. Heyward - Sep 13, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Well b/c then they’d be using sparkling water and doing a “group pie-fest”…you def can’t get wussier than that. Baseball players already deal with looking less tough than football players, but that’d put it over the top.

4. Matt S. - Sep 13, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Once it hits your lips, it’s so good.

5. Mr. Heyward - Sep 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

“The cause and solution to all the world’s problems” – Homer

6. jde - Sep 13, 2010 at 5:02 PM

This is nothing new. The Yankees used non-alcoholic champagne and such when Strawberry was on the team. No idea why the Rangers wouldn’t do the same.

7. RichardInBigD - Sep 13, 2010 at 5:19 PM

The non-alcoholic variety of beer and champagne still have traces of the good stuff in them. Sparkling cider is safer, I think. I had an uncle who was a friend of Bill that used sparkling cider ceremoniously and was quite OK with it. It would be a wonderful gesture on the part of teammates to do so. As for the meet and greet, that’s already a large part of Josh’s allure with the fans here in Texas. He has fairly regular meetings after day games, in the stands, for anyone that wants to stay. True, he uses it as an opportunity to witness to the crowd how his relationship with God brought him back from the brink, etc., but the fans love it, and he can draw a pretty big crowd some days. I don’t know if he’s managed to bring about any conversions yet, but if not, it’s not been for his lack of trying…

8. FrankZappa - Sep 13, 2010 at 6:12 PM

what a giant vag…it’s called self-control

9. John_Michael - Sep 13, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I applaud Hamilton for his self awareness and perspective. Sure, a beer splatter on his arm probably won’t affect him, but why take the risk? Why concede all that you’ve won back in your life. The FrankZappa’s of the world won’t understand his restraint, but then again, people like that aren’t the ones you go to for serious advice anyway.

10. Footballz - Sep 13, 2010 at 7:35 PM

You are a jackass.

11. Utley's hair - Sep 13, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Like you employed before making a comment like that, no doubt.

Or maybe his self-control is exemplified by acknowledging the fact that he has a more difficult time handling some things, and he will try to avoid exposure to those situations.

12. John - Sep 13, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Make some more stupid and uninformed statements though, seriously.

13. RichardInBigD - Sep 13, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Josh is so committed to his continued sobriety that he doesn’t socialize with his teammates at all if there might be alcohol present. He doesn’t even go out to dinner with the guys. He has a handler (Johnny Narron, Jerry’s brother) who’s with him or avaailable for him 24/7. And he is tested every 3 days, so there is no time for anything to work it’s way out of his system (his choice). He carries so much regret for what he has given up to drugs and alcohol, and is willing to do whatever it takes to stay in the game he loves. If Zappa thinks that that makes Hambone a veg, what does it say about Zappa?

14. mashoaf - Sep 13, 2010 at 8:38 PM

They should have a rootbeer shower and sparkling apple cider for Josh since he did carry them there. It should be his party and he should get what he wants at his party.

15. Duderino - Sep 14, 2010 at 12:05 AM

BC – I think the team that comes to mind is the Twins team from 87 & 91 w/ Gary Gaetti & Greg Gagne (no relation to Eric).

16. JB (the original) - Sep 14, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Denard Span of the Twins stays away (sounds like he may have had an issue when young, but really refound his faith and has abstained) from the alcohol as well. I remember them interviewing him about it after the Twins made the playoffs the last two years.

17. IdahoMariner - Sep 14, 2010 at 12:50 PM

It seems to me that the “self-control” that could be exercised is that of his teammates. Hamilton has to celebrate alone? That’s effed up on a team that wouldn’t have gotten there without him.
    I seriously like Craig’s idea — if you clinch it, go out and celebrate on-field with the fans — people mocked the Mariners for their celebration after the last game last year (since they only finished third in the ALWest) but it was an awesome moment — a great season of good baseball and happy players and happy fans, chucking t-shirts in the stands and shaking hands and smiling their asses off. Why wouldn’t a team that clinched want to do something like that?

18. RichardInBigD - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I seem to recall a big flap over the beer shower they gave Adenhart’s jersey. Maybe I dreamed it…

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2495)