Sep 13, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
Mike Stanton went deep twice yesterday, giving the Marlins rookie 20 homers in 81 games (or exactly half a season) as a major leaguer. He also homered 21 times at Double-A before being called up in June, so Stanton has 41 long balls in 134 total games this season. Not bad for a 20-year-old.
In fact, very few 20-year-olds in baseball history have shown this much pop. Isolated Power is a stat that subtracts batting average from slugging percentage to show someone’s power removed from everything else, and right now Stanton is at .278.
Here are the all-time leaders among 20-year-olds with at least 300 plate appearances:
YEAR ISOP Mel Ott 1929 .306 Ted Williams 1939 .281 MIKE STANTON 2010 .278 Alex Rodriguez 1996 .273 Bob Horner 1978 .272 Frank Robinson 1956 .267 Tony Conigliaro 1965 .244 Jimmie Foxx 1928 .220 Mickey Mantle 1952 .219
Stanton is hitting just .251 with a .318 on-base percentage and has struck out 100 times in 81 games, so he certainly has some sizable flaws, but that’s one hell of a list to be on after making the jump from Double-A as a 20-year-old rookie.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)