Mike Pelfrey doesn't have a ton of respect for Jerry Manuel

Sep 13, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT

I was watching college football on Saturday* so I missed this, but reader Jonny5 shot me a link to the Mets Today writeup of Saturday’s Mets-Phillies game in which it appeared that Mike Pelfrey basically told Jerry Manuel to eff off without really saying so. The situation: Pelfrey had just thrown seven and a third darn good innings against the Phillies and was being yanked for Bobby Parnell. Take it away Mets Today:

Pelfrey had his back to Jerry Manuel when the manager came to remove him
from the game in the eighth inning. Pelfrey refused to acknowledge
Manuel’s presence, and handed the ball directly to Bobby Parnell before leaving the mound.

Can someone point to a Mets season that hasn’t ended in ugliness? I mean, I guess 1986, but even then you had that whole “Doc Gooden was too wasted to make the victory parade” storyline kicking off right after the series which, in hindsight, casts a pall on even that great season.

This, by the way, is the kind of thing that happens when you signal to the world that everyone who matters is a lame duck. Fire people when they’ve lost your confidence. Retain people when they haven’t. Otherwise you get stuff like this.

1. CM_Wang - Sep 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Someone please remind Pelfrey that Manuel is a gangsta. He will get his blade out and cut you, right on the field. Bottom line: You go gangsta on him, he’s gonna have to get you.

2. SadPandaRevolt - Sep 13, 2010 at 12:37 PM

That.. is …. AWESOME!

3. Simon DelMonte - Sep 13, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I think that 2000 ended as well as you could hope. Not pretty, but losing to the Yankees in the World Series back then was not so much ugly as inevitable. And I still have fond memories of Franco being on the mound for the one win in the series.
    And come to think of it, there is a big difference between “blew a seven game lead” or “meaningless September” and “lost in the playoffs.” So even if 1999 and 2006 didn’t go that well in the end, either, those still count as good years. The memories of Robin Ventura’s grand slam single and Endy Chavez’ amazing catch linger for me a lot longer than the last game of the ’99 NLCS and that last strikeout against the Cards.

4. BC - Sep 13, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I agree. I’d vote for 2000 as well.
    Pelfrey is awesome. He’s now my hero.

5. matt - Sep 13, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I was wondering why this story hasn’t been talked about more, at least in the NY papers. I was watching the game and right off the bat Pelfrey turned his back to Manuel and didnt acknowledge him once or hand him the baseball. Then the reliever comes out and Pelfrey hands him the ball directly, then walked off to the dugout. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a manager get disrespected so openly in any game I’ev ever seen. To me it was right up there with Robert Horry throwing his towel onto the face of his coach, Danny Ainge. The bad part of it was that it was one of those uncomfortable moments that seemed to drag on forever with poor Manuel standing there for an eternity about a foot behind Pelfrey’s back. McCarver finally said something and made a point that it was wrong. I’m sorry but Manuelshould have seen what was happening and immediately walked to the front of Pelfrey and demanded the ball. I dont care what Pelfrey does at that point. You can’t let a player disrespect you like that. I thougt the NY papers would be all over it the next day but I saw nothing. It seems not even the local media are paying any attention to the Mets.

6. Jonny5 - Sep 13, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Agreed! It was as if it was a conspiracy set up before the game. Since when does it take 2 minutes for the reliever to get to the mound? It was so disrespectful it made me really feel bad for Manuel. I’ve never seen such nonsense before either.

7. BC - Sep 13, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I loved it. Shades of David Wells and Cito Gaston back in the day.
    I don’t ever remember an instance of a pitcher and managers doing a drop-and-go on the mound though. Anyone else seen one? THAT would have been cool.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3336)