Sep 13, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
I was watching college football on Saturday* so I missed this, but reader Jonny5 shot me a link to the Mets Today writeup of Saturday’s Mets-Phillies game in which it appeared that Mike Pelfrey basically told Jerry Manuel to eff off without really saying so. The situation: Pelfrey had just thrown seven and a third darn good innings against the Phillies and was being yanked for Bobby Parnell. Take it away Mets Today:
Pelfrey had his back to Jerry Manuel when the manager came to remove him
from the game in the eighth inning. Pelfrey refused to acknowledge
Manuel’s presence, and handed the ball directly to Bobby Parnell before leaving the mound.
Can someone point to a Mets season that hasn’t ended in ugliness? I mean, I guess 1986, but even then you had that whole “Doc Gooden was too wasted to make the victory parade” storyline kicking off right after the series which, in hindsight, casts a pall on even that great season.
This, by the way, is the kind of thing that happens when you signal to the world that everyone who matters is a lame duck. Fire people when they’ve lost your confidence. Retain people when they haven’t. Otherwise you get stuff like this.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)