Sep 13, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
I was watching college football on Saturday* so I missed this, but reader Jonny5 shot me a link to the Mets Today writeup of Saturday’s Mets-Phillies game in which it appeared that Mike Pelfrey basically told Jerry Manuel to eff off without really saying so. The situation: Pelfrey had just thrown seven and a third darn good innings against the Phillies and was being yanked for Bobby Parnell. Take it away Mets Today:
Pelfrey had his back to Jerry Manuel when the manager came to remove him
from the game in the eighth inning. Pelfrey refused to acknowledge
Manuel’s presence, and handed the ball directly to Bobby Parnell before leaving the mound.
Can someone point to a Mets season that hasn’t ended in ugliness? I mean, I guess 1986, but even then you had that whole “Doc Gooden was too wasted to make the victory parade” storyline kicking off right after the series which, in hindsight, casts a pall on even that great season.
This, by the way, is the kind of thing that happens when you signal to the world that everyone who matters is a lame duck. Fire people when they’ve lost your confidence. Retain people when they haven’t. Otherwise you get stuff like this.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)