Sep 13, 2010, 12:00 PM EST
I was watching college football on Saturday* so I missed this, but reader Jonny5 shot me a link to the Mets Today writeup of Saturday’s Mets-Phillies game in which it appeared that Mike Pelfrey basically told Jerry Manuel to eff off without really saying so. The situation: Pelfrey had just thrown seven and a third darn good innings against the Phillies and was being yanked for Bobby Parnell. Take it away Mets Today:
Pelfrey had his back to Jerry Manuel when the manager came to remove him
from the game in the eighth inning. Pelfrey refused to acknowledge
Manuel’s presence, and handed the ball directly to Bobby Parnell before leaving the mound.
Can someone point to a Mets season that hasn’t ended in ugliness? I mean, I guess 1986, but even then you had that whole “Doc Gooden was too wasted to make the victory parade” storyline kicking off right after the series which, in hindsight, casts a pall on even that great season.
This, by the way, is the kind of thing that happens when you signal to the world that everyone who matters is a lame duck. Fire people when they’ve lost your confidence. Retain people when they haven’t. Otherwise you get stuff like this.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)