Sep 13, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
I was watching college football on Saturday* so I missed this, but reader Jonny5 shot me a link to the Mets Today writeup of Saturday’s Mets-Phillies game in which it appeared that Mike Pelfrey basically told Jerry Manuel to eff off without really saying so. The situation: Pelfrey had just thrown seven and a third darn good innings against the Phillies and was being yanked for Bobby Parnell. Take it away Mets Today:
Pelfrey had his back to Jerry Manuel when the manager came to remove him
from the game in the eighth inning. Pelfrey refused to acknowledge
Manuel’s presence, and handed the ball directly to Bobby Parnell before leaving the mound.
Can someone point to a Mets season that hasn’t ended in ugliness? I mean, I guess 1986, but even then you had that whole “Doc Gooden was too wasted to make the victory parade” storyline kicking off right after the series which, in hindsight, casts a pall on even that great season.
This, by the way, is the kind of thing that happens when you signal to the world that everyone who matters is a lame duck. Fire people when they’ve lost your confidence. Retain people when they haven’t. Otherwise you get stuff like this.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 0
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)