Sep 13, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
The Daily Herald talks with Cubs interim manager Mike Quade. Seems he likes the stats:
I’m not a sabermetrics guy. But I’m smart enough to know the numbers do matter, and I do pay a lot of attention to them . . . I think anybody who aspires to do this benefits from paying attention to stats and those kinds of things.
I wouldn’t want my team to hire someone who actually self-identifies as a “sabermetrics guy” because the very term will automatically cause a certain brand of writer and fan to be hostile from the get-go. And labels aside, I want a manager who appreciates the human side of the game as well. Even if strategy X is the right one in a given situation, I want a manager who knows if pursuing strategy X will cause a player to sulk otherwise respond negatively. All of that stuff matters.
Just another variable in the whole Ryne Sandberg-Mike Quade-Option 3 Cubs managerial search.
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 26
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (112)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)