Sep 13, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
The Daily Herald talks with Cubs interim manager Mike Quade. Seems he likes the stats:
I’m not a sabermetrics guy. But I’m smart enough to know the numbers do matter, and I do pay a lot of attention to them . . . I think anybody who aspires to do this benefits from paying attention to stats and those kinds of things.
I wouldn’t want my team to hire someone who actually self-identifies as a “sabermetrics guy” because the very term will automatically cause a certain brand of writer and fan to be hostile from the get-go. And labels aside, I want a manager who appreciates the human side of the game as well. Even if strategy X is the right one in a given situation, I want a manager who knows if pursuing strategy X will cause a player to sulk otherwise respond negatively. All of that stuff matters.
Just another variable in the whole Ryne Sandberg-Mike Quade-Option 3 Cubs managerial search.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)