Mike Quade is stat-friendly

Sep 13, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT

The Daily Herald talks with Cubs interim manager Mike Quade. Seems he likes the stats:

I’m not a sabermetrics guy. But I’m smart enough to know the numbers do matter, and I do pay a lot of attention to them . . . I think anybody who aspires to do this benefits from paying attention to stats and those kinds of things.

I wouldn’t want my team to hire someone who actually self-identifies as a “sabermetrics guy” because the very term will automatically cause a certain brand of writer and fan to be hostile from the get-go. And labels aside, I want a manager who appreciates the human side of the game as well. Even if strategy X is the right one in a given situation, I want a manager who knows if pursuing strategy X will cause a player to sulk otherwise respond negatively.  All of that stuff matters.

Just another variable in the whole Ryne Sandberg-Mike Quade-Option 3 Cubs managerial search.

1. mattjg - Sep 13, 2010 at 11:00 AM

There’s a huge difference between being a numbers guy and a stat-friendly manager. Too often people who pay attention to the numbers pay attention to the wrong ones. Light-hitting backup shortstop is 5-10 against the pitcher while Superstar is 2-11? Let’s give Superstar the day off since Backup hits better against him. Anyone can look at numbers and make conclusions based on those numbers. The important thing is to look at the right numbers and draw correct conclusions from them.

2. Kevin S. - Sep 13, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Can you spare five minutes to chat with Joe Girardi?

3. Simon DelMonte - Sep 13, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Quade has looked pretty good so far. I just think that it would be a smarter PR move to hire Sandberg, as well as a good baseball move.

4. Josh in DC - Sep 13, 2010 at 12:00 PM

No “stat guy” would care about 10 at bats. I agree with Matt: what matters isn’t knowing that the stats exist, but knowing what they mean.
    The Nationals broadcasters use statistics all the time — batting average with runner on, after the 7th inning, whatever. No hesitation whatsoever to use a statistic. But they don’t understand what that MEANS.

5. Roger Moore - Sep 13, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I don’t think you can draw reliable conclusions from those numbers, but they’re worth treating as a potentially interesting hint. What a stat aware but still people oriented manager might think is that the star needs a day off once in a while, so it might as well come on a day when the backup has hit the opponents’ pitcher better than the star has.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS