Sep 13, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
The Daily Herald talks with Cubs interim manager Mike Quade. Seems he likes the stats:
I’m not a sabermetrics guy. But I’m smart enough to know the numbers do matter, and I do pay a lot of attention to them . . . I think anybody who aspires to do this benefits from paying attention to stats and those kinds of things.
I wouldn’t want my team to hire someone who actually self-identifies as a “sabermetrics guy” because the very term will automatically cause a certain brand of writer and fan to be hostile from the get-go. And labels aside, I want a manager who appreciates the human side of the game as well. Even if strategy X is the right one in a given situation, I want a manager who knows if pursuing strategy X will cause a player to sulk otherwise respond negatively. All of that stuff matters.
Just another variable in the whole Ryne Sandberg-Mike Quade-Option 3 Cubs managerial search.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 10
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 102
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (102)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (99)