Sep 13, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
The Daily Herald talks with Cubs interim manager Mike Quade. Seems he likes the stats:
I’m not a sabermetrics guy. But I’m smart enough to know the numbers do matter, and I do pay a lot of attention to them . . . I think anybody who aspires to do this benefits from paying attention to stats and those kinds of things.
I wouldn’t want my team to hire someone who actually self-identifies as a “sabermetrics guy” because the very term will automatically cause a certain brand of writer and fan to be hostile from the get-go. And labels aside, I want a manager who appreciates the human side of the game as well. Even if strategy X is the right one in a given situation, I want a manager who knows if pursuing strategy X will cause a player to sulk otherwise respond negatively. All of that stuff matters.
Just another variable in the whole Ryne Sandberg-Mike Quade-Option 3 Cubs managerial search.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 35
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)