Reds acquire Willie Bloomquist from Royals, leaving a utility man-sized hole in Dayton Moore's heart
Sep 13, 2010, 2:50 PM EST
He won’t be eligible for the playoffs and will be a free agent in three weeks, but the Reds have acquired Willie Bloomquist from the Royals for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Cincinnati is almost surely giving up basically nothing to bring in a utility man for the final 20 games, but I’m sort of shocked that Kansas City general manager Dayton Moore would let him go. Presumably he plans to re-sign Bloomquist this offseason, but I worry about Moore’s ability to live without him for even a few weeks.
Bloomquist has tons of defensive versatility and good speed, but he’s hitting his usual .265/.296/.388 in 181 plate appearances while everyone with the Royals and far too many people in the local media act as if he’s actually a good player.
Among all active players with at least 2,000 career plate appearances Bloomquist has the seventh-lowest OPS, ahead of only Juan Castro, Cesar Izturis, Adam Everett, Nick Punto, Willy Taveras, and Alex Cora.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)