Reds acquire Willie Bloomquist from Royals, leaving a utility man-sized hole in Dayton Moore's heart
Sep 13, 2010, 2:50 PM EDT
He won’t be eligible for the playoffs and will be a free agent in three weeks, but the Reds have acquired Willie Bloomquist from the Royals for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Cincinnati is almost surely giving up basically nothing to bring in a utility man for the final 20 games, but I’m sort of shocked that Kansas City general manager Dayton Moore would let him go. Presumably he plans to re-sign Bloomquist this offseason, but I worry about Moore’s ability to live without him for even a few weeks.
Bloomquist has tons of defensive versatility and good speed, but he’s hitting his usual .265/.296/.388 in 181 plate appearances while everyone with the Royals and far too many people in the local media act as if he’s actually a good player.
Among all active players with at least 2,000 career plate appearances Bloomquist has the seventh-lowest OPS, ahead of only Juan Castro, Cesar Izturis, Adam Everett, Nick Punto, Willy Taveras, and Alex Cora.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 6
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 12
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 132
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (132)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)