Sep 13, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
Roy Oswalt tossed a complete-game shutout of the Mets yesterday, marking the 18th time this season the Phillies have held an opponent scoreless. Not only is that the most shutouts by a Phillies team since 1965, Todd Zolecki of MLB.com writes that just five teams since 1989 have hurled more shutouts.
Those five teams were the 1992 Braves, 1992 Pirates, 1998 Braves, 2002 A’s, and 2007 Padres. All but the Padres made the playoffs, and even San Diego won 89 games that year. Of course, simply making the playoffs likely won’t be a problem for the Phillies and as noted last week capturing homefield advantage would put them in position to rely exclusively on Oswalt (2.94 ERA), Roy Halladay (2.44), and Cole Hamels (3.06) in the first round.
Of their 18 shutouts, Halladay started eight of them, Hamels started four of them, and Oswalt started three of them (despite not joining the team until midseason). J.A. Happ, Jamie Moyer, and Kyle Kendrick started one apiece. All of which means the Phillies have blanked their opponent in 26.4 percent of the games started by The Big Three.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)