Sep 13, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
With the Triple-A season over, the A’s are set to make their final round of callups on Tuesday, but barring some late-season outfield injuries, Travis Buck won’t be rejoining the team.
The then 23-year-old Buck was shaping up as one of the AL’s most promising rookies in 2007. Debuting not even two years after the A’s made him a supplemental first-round pick out of Arizona State, he hit .288/.377/.474 in 285 at-bats. However, injuries played a significant role even then. Buck missed time as a rookie due to wrist, elbow, thumb and hamstring problems, with the latter two injuries requiring DL stints. He later underwent elbow surgery after the season.
Buck went on to open 2008 as a regular, but he returned to the DL before the end of April, this time with shin splints. Upon his return, he was optioned to Triple-A and he spent most of the season there, missing additional time with an inner-era infection and a concussion. He was penciled in as the primary right fielder again last year, but he very quickly fell into a part-time role. An oblique injury struck at the end of May, and again he spent most of the rest of the year in Triple-A.
The story remained the same in 2010. Again he opened the season on the major league roster, and he started on Opening Day for the third time in four years. However, he was placed on the DL on April 22 with a strained oblique and he’s been a non-factor since. In the three years since his strong rookie campaign, Buck has hit .215/.284/.377 with 11 homers in 302 major league at-bats. Also, his Triple-A performance has been far more solid than spectacular. He hit .272/.345/.418 in 266 at-bats for Sacramento last year. This year, he came in at an improved .298/.364/.463 in 141 at-bats.
The A’s were obviously largely unimpressed. They signed Jeremy Hermida last month and opted to give him an opportunity rather than provide Buck one last chance to stick. Now denied a September callup, it seems certain that Buck will be dropped from the 40-man roster this winter.
Buck probably yet has something to offer, but only if he can stay healthy. He’ll just be entering his age-27 season next year, and he remains a fine defender in an outfield corner. Hardly a one-dimensional player, he has a better all-around game than most of the corner outfielders/first basemen one sees get tagged with the quad-A label. It’s doubtful that the A’s would ask for anything significant in return, so maybe the Royals or Indians could pick him up now for a three-week audition.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)