Sep 14, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
Albert Pujols, troubled by a sore left elbow the past three weeks, will get Tuesday off after receiving a cortisone shot Monday night.
Felipe Lopez is making his first career start at first base in his place.
Pujols originally injured his non-throwing elbow making a play on defense against the Pirates last month. A couple of swings last night further aggravated the condition, and it was decided that a cortisone shot was the best course of action.
Manager Tony La Russa said Pujols could be available off the bench tonight. A return to the starting lineup on Wednesday seems likely.
Pujols is the National League leader with 39 homers and 104 RBI this season.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)