Sep 14, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
Albert Pujols, troubled by a sore left elbow the past three weeks, will get Tuesday off after receiving a cortisone shot Monday night.
Felipe Lopez is making his first career start at first base in his place.
Pujols originally injured his non-throwing elbow making a play on defense against the Pirates last month. A couple of swings last night further aggravated the condition, and it was decided that a cortisone shot was the best course of action.
Manager Tony La Russa said Pujols could be available off the bench tonight. A return to the starting lineup on Wednesday seems likely.
Pujols is the National League leader with 39 homers and 104 RBI this season.
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 0
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 36
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76