Sep 14, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
Albert Pujols, troubled by a sore left elbow the past three weeks, will get Tuesday off after receiving a cortisone shot Monday night.
Felipe Lopez is making his first career start at first base in his place.
Pujols originally injured his non-throwing elbow making a play on defense against the Pirates last month. A couple of swings last night further aggravated the condition, and it was decided that a cortisone shot was the best course of action.
Manager Tony La Russa said Pujols could be available off the bench tonight. A return to the starting lineup on Wednesday seems likely.
Pujols is the National League leader with 39 homers and 104 RBI this season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)