Sep 14, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
Albert Pujols, troubled by a sore left elbow the past three weeks, will get Tuesday off after receiving a cortisone shot Monday night.
Felipe Lopez is making his first career start at first base in his place.
Pujols originally injured his non-throwing elbow making a play on defense against the Pirates last month. A couple of swings last night further aggravated the condition, and it was decided that a cortisone shot was the best course of action.
Manager Tony La Russa said Pujols could be available off the bench tonight. A return to the starting lineup on Wednesday seems likely.
Pujols is the National League leader with 39 homers and 104 RBI this season.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8