Sep 14, 2010, 3:18 PM EDT
Brandon Webb’s recovery from shoulder surgery has progressed so slowly that he’s gone from hoping to be healthy for the second half to hoping to make at least one start in September to now talking about possibly having to participate in instructional leagues just to get some work in.
Here’s what Webb told Steve Gilbert of MLB.com about the possibility:
I’ve thought about that. I haven’t talked to anyone about it yet. It could make sense. It’s a controlled environment and it’s a way to get some innings.
Innings are innings, but one issue is that Webb will be a free agent in a few weeks and at that point he’s no longer property of the Diamondbacks, so pitching for their instructional league team (or another affiliated team) seemingly wouldn’t be an option.
Webb is still holding out some hope of making a relief appearance or two yet this season, but Diamondbacks pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre Jr. noted that “he’s still a ways away, he’s moving forward but he’s got a ways to go.”
He hasn’t pitched since Opening Day of last season and the former Cy Young winner is now 13 months removed from surgery.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)