Sep 14, 2010, 11:19 AM EDT
Brett Myers’ career-year continued last night with seven innings of one-run ball in a win over the Brewers and he also made some history by becoming just the seventh pitcher since 1920 to throw six or more innings in each of his first 30 starts.
The previous six: Bob Gibson (1968 and 1969), Fergie Jenkins (1972), Tom Seaver (1974), Steve Carlton (1980), Jack McDowell (1993), Curt Schilling (2002).
Myers isn’t exactly an obvious fit in that star-studded group, but he’s quietly been one of the league’s best pitchers after signing a one-year, $5.1 million contract with the Astros. He ranks fourth in innings (205) and eighth in ERA (2.85) while posting a 167/57 K/BB ratio and .245 opponents’ batting average.
Myers put himself in position to potentially make a lot of money back on the open market, but opted against another crack at free agency by signing a two-year, $23 million extension with the Astros last month. He’ll make $7 million next season and $11 million in 2012, with the Astros giving him a $2 million signing bonus and holding a $10 million option or $3 million buyout for 2013.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 40
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 44
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months