Sep 14, 2010, 11:19 AM EDT
Brett Myers’ career-year continued last night with seven innings of one-run ball in a win over the Brewers and he also made some history by becoming just the seventh pitcher since 1920 to throw six or more innings in each of his first 30 starts.
The previous six: Bob Gibson (1968 and 1969), Fergie Jenkins (1972), Tom Seaver (1974), Steve Carlton (1980), Jack McDowell (1993), Curt Schilling (2002).
Myers isn’t exactly an obvious fit in that star-studded group, but he’s quietly been one of the league’s best pitchers after signing a one-year, $5.1 million contract with the Astros. He ranks fourth in innings (205) and eighth in ERA (2.85) while posting a 167/57 K/BB ratio and .245 opponents’ batting average.
Myers put himself in position to potentially make a lot of money back on the open market, but opted against another crack at free agency by signing a two-year, $23 million extension with the Astros last month. He’ll make $7 million next season and $11 million in 2012, with the Astros giving him a $2 million signing bonus and holding a $10 million option or $3 million buyout for 2013.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 86
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)