Dan Uggla is the first second baseman to have four 30-HR seasons

Sep 14, 2010, 8:24 AM EST

If you would have put a gun to my head and asked me, I probably would have said that Jeff Kent had four or five 30-home run seasons. Which would have led to my messy demise, because after looking it up I now realize that he only had three. Dan Uggla is the first second baseman to have four, hitting home run number 30 last night in the loss to the Phillies.

Uggla, by the way, is quietly having his best season so far: .280/.362/.501.  He’s poised to go back to arbitration this year and will likely get a hefty raise over the $7.8 million he’s making. And he’s on record as loving Miami. In light of that — and in light of his clockwork consistency — it would probably do the Marlins a world of good to lock him up long term.

1. Old Gator - Sep 14, 2010 at 9:05 AM

If you made a list of the players it would have done Scrooge McLoria a world of good to have locked up in the long term, you would have an all-star team. We can hope, but so can a Cubs fan. So what?

2. Jonny5 - Sep 14, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Yeah right. The Feesh have no use for guys who deserve big long term contracts. I would bet my Old school Dyno BMX that Loria is already grooming his replacement.

3. Flup - Sep 14, 2010 at 9:16 AM

That would actually be a really cool list to see… could OG or someone else whip that up, just to satisfy my curiosity? Cabrera, Beckett, Burnett, and then Uggla, Ramirez, and Johnson from the current crew. Who else? Of course, if they had kept Beckett, then they wouldn’t have Ramirez, so it starts to get all twisted…

4. Lans Downe - Sep 14, 2010 at 9:41 AM

There’s still time to get Beckett. How about a couple of first class flights, and…that’s it.

5. BC - Sep 14, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Would have sworn Ryne Sandberg hit 30 at least 4 times…

6. matt - Sep 14, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Obviously, living in Miami is attractive for these players, but how do you choose spend half your season playing in a graveyard with no fans when you know your team will only make an attempt to win it all maybe once every 10 years? I’m sorry. If I’m a free agent I’m looking for greener pastures. If he likes Miami so much he can live there in the offseason. I dont even like watching the games when my team is playing the Marlins. Its just like the expos before they folded, left, whatever. You hear every echo. Its like a cemetary. I also don’t buy that the new stadium is the cure-all for them, especially for an owner who is about money first and foremost. That new stadium novelty dies out after a year and the fans become apathetic again, as they should be when the ownership doesn’t try.

7. Kevin S. - Sep 14, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Actually, Dan Uggla is exactly the type of player you *don’t* want to lock up long-term, especially on a low budget. He’s a fairly nonathletic (relative to MLB standards) dude with old-player’s skills and at a position that isn’t conducive to longevity. Either trade him for value or just run out the string on his last arbitration year, but don’t give him a four-year deal.

8. Tony A - Sep 14, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I’m betting it won’t even take a year for the novelty to wear off…

9. Old Gator - Sep 14, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Kevin, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Uggla is a streaky hitter but also a substandard fielder, and that’s certainly likely to get worse as he ages. He strikes out a whole lot and has a tendency to go on long binges of fanning or hitting into double plays in critical situations, and those are also traits that will blossom like a carrionflower as he gets up there in years. A guy with less power but who is more of a contact and situational hitter, with some speed and who can really field the position, would add more to this team than a caveman with a brick glove.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5691)
  2. M. Kemp (3213)
  3. J. Kang (3051)
  4. C. McGehee (3031)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3017)
  1. J. Upton (2951)