Sep 14, 2010, 8:49 AM EDT
Boy, didn’t see this one coming. Totally blindsided here:
Daian Peña, the girlfriend of hotheaded Mets hurler Francisco Rodriguez, and her father, Carlos Peña, have hired a lawyer.
Jeff Korek won’t say if he plans to sue for injuries Carlos Peña
suffered when cops say the 6-foot, 195-pound reliever attacked him after
an Aug. 11 Mets loss at Citi Field.
Of course if Pena sues for injuries it will likely be the first time we’ve heard of any sort of injury he suffered during the skirmish. A skirmish which some people who know things about have described as a “slap fight.” Which, sure, is still not at all cool, but it’s not like there are surgical bills that need to be paid for here. Well, at least those besides K-Rod’s own for the ligament he screwed up.
Oh, and maybe this was out there before, but it’s the first time I’m seeing it reported: the fight started when Pena told K-Rod’s mom to shut up and insulted her. The law doesn’t provide for a “don’t talk about my momma” defense, but juries tend to be rather sympathetic to that sort of thing, so fight the suit, K-Rod! Don’t settle! Make him go all the way!
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)