Sep 14, 2010, 8:49 AM EST
Boy, didn’t see this one coming. Totally blindsided here:
Daian Peña, the girlfriend of hotheaded Mets hurler Francisco Rodriguez, and her father, Carlos Peña, have hired a lawyer.
Jeff Korek won’t say if he plans to sue for injuries Carlos Peña
suffered when cops say the 6-foot, 195-pound reliever attacked him after
an Aug. 11 Mets loss at Citi Field.
Of course if Pena sues for injuries it will likely be the first time we’ve heard of any sort of injury he suffered during the skirmish. A skirmish which some people who know things about have described as a “slap fight.” Which, sure, is still not at all cool, but it’s not like there are surgical bills that need to be paid for here. Well, at least those besides K-Rod’s own for the ligament he screwed up.
Oh, and maybe this was out there before, but it’s the first time I’m seeing it reported: the fight started when Pena told K-Rod’s mom to shut up and insulted her. The law doesn’t provide for a “don’t talk about my momma” defense, but juries tend to be rather sympathetic to that sort of thing, so fight the suit, K-Rod! Don’t settle! Make him go all the way!
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)