Sep 14, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Hisashi Iwakuma is one of the best pitchers in Japan and according to Jason Coskrey of the Japan Times he “wants to try and head to MLB via posting after the season.”
Coskey adds that Iwakuma’s team, the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles, are “said to be reluctant” to let him go, no doubt in part because they still have the 29-year-old under contract for another season.
However, Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker and Fan Graphs told MLB Trade Rumors that the Golden Eagles may want to get value in return for Iwakuma before losing him for nothing as a free agent.
Newman recently pegged Iwakuma as “the second-best MLB pitching prospect” in Japan behind phenom Yu Darvish, calling him “a fairly standard fastball/slider/forkball righty” who “can reach 95 mph with his fastball, but mostly works around 90-91.”
Iwakuma has a 2.74 ERA and 138 strikeouts in 187 innings this season. His best year came in 2008, when he went 21-4 with a 1.87 ERA and 159 strikeouts in 201.2 innings. And, obviously, he looks dapper in a suit.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 97
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 153
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (156)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)