Sep 14, 2010, 12:46 PM EST
Hisashi Iwakuma is one of the best pitchers in Japan and according to Jason Coskrey of the Japan Times he “wants to try and head to MLB via posting after the season.”
Coskey adds that Iwakuma’s team, the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles, are “said to be reluctant” to let him go, no doubt in part because they still have the 29-year-old under contract for another season.
However, Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker and Fan Graphs told MLB Trade Rumors that the Golden Eagles may want to get value in return for Iwakuma before losing him for nothing as a free agent.
Newman recently pegged Iwakuma as “the second-best MLB pitching prospect” in Japan behind phenom Yu Darvish, calling him “a fairly standard fastball/slider/forkball righty” who “can reach 95 mph with his fastball, but mostly works around 90-91.”
Iwakuma has a 2.74 ERA and 138 strikeouts in 187 innings this season. His best year came in 2008, when he went 21-4 with a 1.87 ERA and 159 strikeouts in 201.2 innings. And, obviously, he looks dapper in a suit.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)