Sep 14, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
Joe Mauer is one hit away from 1,000 for his career, which would be the fifth-most ever by a catcher through age 27:
Ivan Rodriguez 1333 Ted Simmons 1279 Johnny Bench 1246 Joe Torre 1087 JOE MAUER 999
He’ll likely end up with around 1,020 hits by season’s end.
Missing most of his rookie season with a knee injury hurts Mauer’s through-age-27 hit total, and his excellent patience at the plate also means he’s traded some hits for walks. He’s drawn 430 free passes, which is the fourth-most ever by a catcher through age 27:
Johnny Bench 516 Darrell Porter 510 Butch Wynegar 450 JOE MAUER 430 Ted Simmons 427
Mauer has hit .355 in 53 games since the Twins lost Justin Morneau to a concussion on July 7, raising his season mark to .324, but because of a mediocre (for him, at least) first half and Josh Hamilton hitting .361 he’ll need a miracle to win his fourth batting title in five seasons.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11